Ideas for Supplemental Heat in 30's Bungalow

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

computeruser

Feeling the Heat
Jan 16, 2007
East Lansing, MI
I’ve been a long-time lurker here, but thought I’d throw out a “what would you do” to you guys.

Here’s the situation: I currently burn wood recreationally in an open fireplace in my 1930s bungalow. This has been a source of enjoyment and ambience for the past few years, but it also comes with all the drawbacks of an uncontrolled, inefficient burning experience. The addition of a fireback this year has markedly increased radiant heat in the room (1.5 degree increase with the fireback versus without), but it is still inefficient. As much as I love the ambiance and sound and light of an open fire, and I truly do, I think it might be nice to find some sort of wood burning appliance that not only makes better use of the wood I burn, but also looks nice while doing so.

Here’s what I have: The current fireplace, which is original to the house, is located centrally with a brick-and-clay chimney that has a slight zig-zag on its way up to the peak of the roof; flue size is 13”x13”. The fireplace itself is 36”w 29.5”h 25”d, tapering gently to a rear width of roughly 27”. There is 23” of slate in front of the fireplace, and the slate sits 3/8” above the wood floor of the living room. The slate is supported by a concrete “wedge” that sits in front of the brick base/support for the fireplace and chimney, and which is supported in the crawlspace by the wood that was used to form it when originally poured; this wood is tied in to the floor joists. (see attached pictures). The house is roughly 1100 square feet, with the bulk of that on the main level and one finished room upstairs.

What I think I would like to do: I would like to get a good looking supplemental heat source into my house to augment my forced air system. We currently have a very low heating bill, despite the un-tight nature of our house, since we keep the thermostat down around 65 degrees. I have no interest in the house being 75+ degrees, ever, so I suspect a smaller stove or insert with a decent viewing area would be appropriate. I would anticipate that the stove would be fired in the evening and reloaded before bed, and since we’re usually gone long enough during the day to make an all-day burn unrealistic (9-12hours), we’d probably not be able to keep it going during the day. Lastly, I suspect that the wood support of the concrete/slate area in front of the fireplace does not constitute a noncombustible surface, so from what I understand about this stuff we’d probably need to keep a stove or insert within the confines of the fireplace itself.

What I don’t want to do: I do NOT want a plate steel insert with a brassy handle. It would not look right with the plaster or woodwork in the house, and since we spend 90% of our family time in this room the aesthetics are very important in selecting a wood burning appliance. Though we will likely continue to live here for some time, I do not anticipate being in this house long enough to justify the cost and work of cutting up the floor or making major structural changes to the hearth area.

What I need to know: if you were in my shoes, what would you be considering for an insert or stove? Would a smaller stove capable of fitting inside the hearth area be capable of meeting my heating needs? Or would you suggest I just stick with recreational burning in an open fireplace since mid-day fire tending is out of the question?

Thanks in advance for the input!

Attachments

• Angus_At_Work_01.jpg
    Angus_At_Work_01.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 333
  • Fireplace.JPG
    Fireplace.JPG
    18.3 KB · Views: 319
  • Fire_Cat.JPG
    Fire_Cat.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 340
the cat on the wood pile is freaking great.
sounds do able, but like the man said need more info.

BeGreen said:
Sounds possible. What is your locale? What is the budget? How large is the room, and the house in sq. ft?

Have you looked at the Jotul Kennebec C450?

http://www.jotul.com/en-us/wwwjotulus/Main-menu/Products/Wood/Wood-inserts/Jotul-C-450-Kennebec/

or the Hampton HI300?

http://www.hampton-fire.com/Wood/Inserts/index.php

I had looked at that Jotul insert and Vermont Castings WinterWarm Large inserts, though I have not priced them out or figured out exactly how they would sit/look within their surrounds installed in a fireplace of my dimensions.

I'm in mid-Michigan and haven't set a budget for the project yet. The room to be heated is roughly 350 sq ft, and the house as a whole is roughly 1100 sq ft, with 950 sq ft on the main floor and the balance in the form of a single finished room upstairs.

Should I assume that an insert, rather than a small stove inside the fireplace, would be the better/more effective heat source for my setup?

A real size check on any stove is the EPA Efficiency Tag. Every new stove has to have one when sold. Stoves are tested the same for these numbers. Look at it there are BTU numbers on it. They will be smaller than a manufactures numbers. In a Old leaky under insulated homes I would use the EPA numbers. In a new airtight home the manufactures numbers might be closer. I am saying over size as per the manufactures numbers for older homes .

For your home go look at enameled stoves or even soapstone enameled stoves they are not just black boxes.

You have to look a stove year around and for years to come, a long time. Get the best looking one you can. The one you both want.

I wanted a black soap stone stove . My wife wanted the sea foam enameled one. She got her choice, shes really happy with this stove.

What stove does your wife like?

when you know what you want check (call) all the dealers you can. I know one guy who saved $600.00 USD by calling around to just three dealers with in 100 miles of his home.

Stove sales will be starting soon, do your home work now and when the sales start you might save a few hundred.

This is what I did.
HearthStone Heritage break in fire!!

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/3106/

We have a 1910 colonial that had an open fireplace. We heard the original owner spent many winter nights sitting in front of this fireplace reading his books and keeping warm (this is a 2400sqft home, at the time uninsulated, original windows, and with the original fireplace - he would have to be sitting on top of the fireplace to get any heat value from it). After one winter of using this original "fire pit", I started to look at inserts. Both my wife and I were completely against the steel "fireboxes" as they did not come close to matching the decor of our home. The Vermont Castings WinterWarm Large was the only one at the time that fit the decor, and we haven't regretted it since. It has been in our home for almost 7 years and it does an admirable job of heating- whether we want an ornamental looking fire for dinner parties, or intense heat when the temperature drops below zero - we're in Syracuse New York. Functionally this stove has served us well, and it still looks great several years later. These days there are a few more companies that make stoves that would look good for your application, but at the time the VC WWL was the only one in our area that looked somewhat "vintage". Best of luck as I know how challenging it can be to find what you want to fit into your home.

Attachments

• WWL LivRm.jpg
    WWL LivRm.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 246
  • WWL Closeup.jpg
    WWL Closeup.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 225
I noticed this thread didn't have a slew of reponses, so thought I'd give my .02

The look of the Hampton can't be beat, I've gotten a lot of compliments.

Couple thoughts:

You have to use a blower on inserts. One thing I wished the Hampton had was a dial rather than just Hi and Low. If you like peace and quiet then this may be an issue.

Do you want a unit that you can enjoy with open doors ?? A neat feature that Jotuls and VCs have.

Does soapstone appeal to you ? The whole idea of slower build up and slower release. The customer service of Woodstock is second to none, maybe gabbing with them would help. The Fireview is a real eye catcher.

I would look into a hearth stove not an insert. That is a big fireplace and Woodstock would look nice in there.

I was thinking a Jotul 3CB would fit in there and look quite nice too.

In fact, it would fit without the short leg kit, which would be good because that keeps it off that hearth.

Since it sounds like you are really looking for better burning efficiency, additional fire control, and heat that won't knock you out of the room, maybe a freestanding stove in the fireplace is the way to go. I'm no expert -- especially compared to the knowledgeable folks on this site -- but that's my take. For you experts out there, would a freestanding in the fireplace (with no blower of any sort) produce a reasonable amount of heat for the room with the fireplace and beyond -- or am I way off base?

You certainly have a nice looking hearth and built-ins. Whatever you do is bound to look nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.