Identify older Palladian?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rwhite

Minister of Fire
Nov 8, 2011
North Central Idaho
Waiting on owner to get back with me on a pic of the label but does anyone know an approximate year of this Palladian ? I can't seem to find any info on one with vents in the door.

00Y0Y_khgRKZ9g4tc_600x450.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The older Fireview had the door vents as well. I don't know if they both switched the venting at the same time but I think they might have switched the Fireview in '96. Shoot Woodstock an email...they are very helpful.

Thanks. The guy did say it was a cat stove but he has been burning it without a cat. That may be a bit worrisome.

If he was running it hard to get the heat he needed, I think you'd have to take a look at the upper innards of the stove for warping. I don't think the older models are near the stove that the newer ones are; Different combustor system, air wash, etc. I don't know much about 'em, though.

The combuster he said fits it is the k531 which is the modern square type. wood stocks page shows the pre 90s model used a round combuster. Still waiting on pics of the label

OK. The older round cat (steel version) is what I have in the Dutchwest now. Might be worth taking a look at, then, if you could get it cheap and it is in good shape (questionable from what I see there.) Maybe it's very similar to the new ones, except the door vents. I don't recall any threads here covering the older Keystones...you might be able to get some answers from the Woodstock folks as to how capable a heater they are, and what to look for if you check it out. It may be in need of a rebuild to seal leaking seams, and that looks challenging on any of the stone stoves...

So far the Oslo is the wife's favorite but she likes the Palladian as well. Going to go inspect the Oslo tomorrow so this may all be mute if she likes it.

I wanted a dog and she wanted a cat so we comprised and got a cat☺

Inspect the Oslo carefully as well for cracks, warpage and be especially vigilant inside the stove around the corners of the grate. If the stove is full of ash you will need to clean it out to examine these areas.

Will do I appreciate the advice. Never had a cast stove before. Looks like the Palladian could be a 1985. Or is that the UL date?

20161124_074802.jpg

That's the test date, I think. Woodstock could probably give you the age of the stove, with that serial number.

I'm thinking the seller is probably mistaken about the cat style. I don't see ash pan and I assume the door is the air control.
00e0e_jmirR1QceL0_600x450.jpg

That would put it from 85-92. He's asking 700 which to be missing a cat and be older is probably not worth the drive . I'm thinking it's probably worth about 1/2 That.

Reactions: Woody Stover
I wouldn't bother as burning it without cat. likely has damaged the catalyst housing and they ar e a bear to replace.I hate working on those things! Get the Oslo if it's a good one, you don't know what a bullet you just dodged!

Sorry to hear that, but good you were able to spot the issues. Keep searching.

Status
Not open for further replies.