If you could do it all over again, what would you do different?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr_Super-Hunky

May 19, 2007
After reading many members profiles and signatures, it certainly seems that locating, obtaining, cutting, splitting, storing, seasoning, burning etc of wood as a fuel source is certainly an ongoing learning experience.

One thing I have noticed is that many members who have been heating with wood have used numerous different brands of stoves, chainsaws, splitters etc. Some have even switched to different type of wood they burn.

While it is impossible to plan ahead for every little situation, that does'nt mean that others cannot learn from our more experienced wood burners trials and tribulations!.

Some may say, "I wish I would have gotten the so and so brand/model stove instead of my current one because it has a top loading feature which I would really like. Others may say I wish I would have gotten a log splitter than could handle 24 inch long logs as opposed to only 18 as now I have a lot of "dead space" in my stove.

I have read that some members are unhappy with "X" brand of chainsaw as it is so hard to start as opposed to brand "Y".

So, I ask all of you, but especially the members who have a little time under their belt, ......."If you could start all over from the begining (but know what you know now), what are some of the things you would do differently? Hopefully you can help some of the less knowledgable members (like me), avoid the same challenges.

The only thing I can think of is that if I had it all to do over again I wouldn't chainsaw my left leg alone in the woods like I did in 1987.

Otherwise I wouldn't change anything.

BB I like the new avatar. Its either that one or the burning barrel!!!

I would not change one thing that i have done and i have been burning wood for two years. :mad:

Hate to jump on the same band-wagon... but I wouldn't really change anything.... not that I didn't make my share of mistakes or stupid decisions (oh, and there are some doosies!!! - that could be a whole new thread).

As far as stuff related to wood burning.... still pretty happy with the decisions... the saw... still the same old stihl 034 I bought when I was in college, and running great with a lot of wood cut by it (wow I'm getting old.... that's 20 years this year). The stove was new this year, after a few used oned I had picked up and put in here, but real happy with it so far.

Definitely would have gotten a better saw than the Poulan I'm using now, maybe one of those HD rental units instead.

The stoves came with the house when the GF bought it, but I'd never have chosen them.

Would have put more pitch on my woodshed roof, and maybe raised the low side a few more inches. Would like to have made it bigger, but that would have been difficult as I sized this one by the largest PT 2x4's I could get... Would have made the wood supports / floor spaced differently.

Should have gotten one of the hard-hat style PPE setups instead of just the muff and screen job I purchased.

Nothing all that major, especially not the stuff I could do something about.

Gooserider

I wish I had just spent the money on "real" tools the first time as opposed to buying a bunch of Harbour Freight type stuff.

I literally had purchased every tool I have twice; $14.00 for the original Harbour Freight 4'' sander/grinder, then another $99.00 on top of that one week later when I came to my senses and purchased a Milwakee.

Same holds true for the cordless drill, sawzall, impact wrench, on and on and on!!.

There is no-way I'm alone on this one!!!......fess up!

btw, I have to exclude the 30 ton HF splitter, I hear that is pretty good!.

I don't suffer bad tools well. If I'm going to invest in a tool, I expect it to work great and last as long as I take good care of it. Many of my tools are over 30 years old. My tool box is my Dad's, circa 1950 and still doing well. Maybe that explains why in spite of subscribing to HF's newsletter, I still haven't made it down there.

Does that mean I haven't bought bad tools? No, I have had a few POS tools in my day. I went through a batch of crappy weedeaters until I bought a Stihl. It's a day and night difference. Never regretted the purchase of a quality tool.

Two major errors I have made. I installed my second Metalbestos wood stove chimney on the outside of the house (30+ feet high) without insulating the box I put around it. Although I don’t have any issues running the stove when I run 24/7, when I shut the stove down, cold air runs down that chimney like crazy due to the lower pressure in the basement. This makes the basement smell and cools it. I should have run the chimney thru the house or at least heavily insulated the box around it. Big mistake, don’t do it. My current solution has been to run the stove 24/7 thanksgiving to easter then shut it down and plug the pipe. PITA.

The second error was not to protect my back. Back injuries are a huge cause of debilitation in this country. When you are young and strong you do things to your back that you should not as I did. Now that I am let’s say “more experienced” I have back pain whenever I do a lot of work like cutting and splitting wood. I suggest using tools to move wood (like a log lift on a splitter for the big rounds, wood cart to bring wood inside instead of a canvas sling, use a peavey, etc.) instead of overworking your back. Take it from an “experienced” (read old) guy, protect your back.

As far as tools go I agree with Be Green. Generally you get what you pay for. The only time I buy HF quality tools is if I am going to use the tool once for some obscure job. I find the folks on this forum way too price conscience and not quality conscience. If you buy an HF splitter (or other inexpensive brand) from what I gather on this forum, you will have very hit or miss quality (some OK, some bad). If you bought say Timberwolf, you would pay more than 50% more but quality is assured. The re-sale value is high. If you decided you did not want the splitter anymore you could sell it no problem for good $$. I have not purchased from HF for 20 years and am very likely never to buy again. I learned the lesson of “buy good stuff” many years ago and every once in a while I remind myself why by buying something of poor quality and regretting it.

I would do one thing that would solve 2 problems. I would install a fireplace insert instead of my woodfurnace. My best heat is in the basement where it is wasted because we spend practically no time there, and I'm sick and tired of going up and down the steps to load the stove.

I should add on the stove side, I made the mistake of trying to hard to accommodate the better half's wishes and bought too small a stove. Fortunately, it was an easy sell and no money loss, but work is work. I don't really begrudge it though because I got to try out and burn in two different model stoves and learned a lot, so I chalk it up as a good experience and not a big mistake.

I'm still a newbie at heating with wood, but I'll take a stab at this one.

So far I have no regrets with the insert I purchased or the results I am getting from it. At first, I was afraid that the insert would be too big for the basement and would cook me out of my office in order to get any heat to the main level of the house. That has not been an issue and I probably could have gone a bit bigger without a problem. I was also unsure of my decision to not insulate my exterior chimney but draft has not been a problem and I don't seem to be loosing too much heat.

I do wish the floor plan of the house was a bit more conducive to heating with wood, but it's not too bad and certainly could be worse. That's not necessarily something I would do differently, just one of those 'in a perfect world' things.

I should have been a little more prepared with wood for last year but I'm taking care of that already for this and next season. The new Dolmar PS5100S is a fantastic saw and I'm happy with that choice. I will probably buy a bigger saw to add to the collection at some point but I'm ok for now. After researching splitters and looking at every brand I could find locally, I can't say enough good things about the North Star splitter I bought from Northern Tool. The Honda engine starts and runs very well and I haven't found a chunk of wood that could stop it yet. The cycle time could be a bit faster, but it's not too bad and sure beats splitting by hand.

I've definitely had my share of 'learning experiences' burning in the insert this past year. I've got a scar or two and a bit less carpet to show for it, but I'm also learning so it's all good.

This season I want to pay more attention to what type of wood I'm loading and what results I'm getting. To that end, I'm trying to keep things piled together, elm, maple, walnut, boxelder, pine, cherry and oak. I've looked at the BTU charts but I'd like to compare them to real world experience. I'm also going to try and track how much wood I go through this year; rather than just knowing I burned a little more than I had last year (thanks to a great neighbor).

Overall I'm happy with my decision to take a bite out of my heating bills with the switch to wood heating. Not only am I using less electricity and saving money; I'm getting more exercise, spending more time outdoors, meeting a bunch of great new people and collecting a few new toys (new saw, splitter, etc...).

Hi --

I did a good deal of research; especially here.

I build a good chimney, insulated rigid liner - Very good!
I bought more saw than I thought I needed - Just right!

I could have installed a little larger stove. I did not realize that I'd really be able to heat nearly 100% with the one unit.

Also planning a drive though spot to process wood is better than a back in spot.

ATB,
Mike P

1.) I would have jumped right into a high quality saw (of your favorite brand). This is one place not to skimp. The amount of "work" saved by using a good one, instead of an undersized, under powered, under anything saw is huge in my book.

2.) Would have found hearth.com sooner. I had already been burning for several years before I realize I had a clinical addition to wood burning. While searching for professional help for this affliction I ran across this site. Hasn't cured my affliction, but I now have a bigger saw (ms 361), PPG, 2 years of seasoned wood, a Mucho powerful log splitter.....wait a minute......I'm not sure hearth.com has helped anything.

<whimper> :down:

Hi guys,

I have many regrets. I will list them in no particular order.

- I wish I had found Hearthnet earlier. This would have prevented me from buying a new Craftsman chainsaw and spending way too many hours in the woods cutting. Then I also would have known about sharpening a chain (I didn't know that was necessary), which would have saved even more hours.

- I wish I hadn't bought a Hearthstone stove before checking the clearances. Going there, lugging it back, rebuilding it and reading the manual to find out it does not fit your chimney install is not fun.

- I wish I had bought a hitch for my wifes car. it is bigger and can pull a trailer. I wish I had made a bed and sides for the boat trailer so I could have gone to all those people who advertise (free wood, you cut and take it). I still don't have either. BUmmer.

- I wish I had not cut my hands with an axe so often cutting kindling wood. I wish I had not cut my left thumb with the table saw cutting kindling wood.

- I wish PE had come out with the ALderlea 3 years ago. I would have bought to replace my first stove and be done with it.

Thanks

Carpniels

Oh yea;

I would have put in a masonry heater or at least a big fireplace (heater) instead of a three sided peninsula (just for looks) fireplace. That way, I could have incorporated the massive stone fireplace in our home with an actual "heating" fireplace instead of a cooling device. It looks really nice though (except when I'm cold)!.

I would have purchased a much larger Stihl chainsaw as opposed to the 021 model I have. In all fairness, I have cut down some gigantic trees with that little saw and it just keeps going and going!. Its really a good saw, just want a bigger one!.

In addition, I may not have put in forced air gas heating had I just went with a heating fireplace or masonry heater to begin with.

Oh well. its only money right?.

btw, I don't know why, but I really look forward to my new Harbour freight catalogue every month. I usually don't buy their stuff anymore, but I just dream how nice it would be to have some of their tools (at that price), if they actually worked!!.

You did the right thing with a primary heat system. We all get sick or have to be away from home at times. And lots of us run out of wood in spite of best plans. Something needs to keep the place from freezing up during those times. Besides, I suspect it is required by your bank.

No regrets, but you can always get your wood done sooner so that it has longer to dry.

My long experience heating with wood has been an ongoing learning process that really accelerated with the discovery of hearth.com. I try to view even the things that don't work out as valuable lessons, so I'm not afraid to try new things. This is, above all else, a hobby. Actually, it's a hobby, an exercise routine and a second job all rolled into one. Can't beat that: a hobby that keeps you in shape and saves/pays you money.

I would have ripped out my 0 clearance fireplace and installed something like the quad 7100fp or equivalent. Advantages would have been higher heating capacity with ability to pump heat were I need it such as a basement room, or even the kitchen.

My Osburn 1800 is fine, and I'm happy with it, but it's a bit undersized for the house when temps drop below 10 degrees for an extended period of time. Eventually, I expect that a second stove will have to be added somehow, and given the home layout that's not obvious.

The other thing I think I should have done even with my current install is to have removed the majestic fireplace to figure out why I 'm getting cold air flowing into the house from it's bottom vent. I suspect that the 0 clearance fireplace is sitting on nothing more than plywood so cold air comes up from below or the entire chimney chase is uninsulated. Given that I didn't pull it and look, I have no idea, and not knowing bugs the snot out of me now.

As for wood... I'd have split it less. Before I got the stove, I was splitting things quite small, so the result was a lot of really prime oak I burned this year really didn't give me good burn times since it was like loading the stove with a pile of kindling. I'd have furiously hot fires that actually made me nervous now and then. The stove handled things like a champ, but I really prefer a nice big chunk in it that burns hot enough to be efficient, yet lasts till morning. Now I know and I split things a lot less.

On the wood gathering front, I've got no regrets of things I've done wrong, but rather there are still things to do.

1. Get a trailer. Hauling wood in my GMC Safari at roughly 1/8 of a cord at a time is too time consuming.
2. I Need to get stocked up on wood now for the 2008 - 2009 season. It's never too early to start seasoning wood.
3. I need to find a better way to stack wood so the piles aren't so ugly. Let's face it, 16 piles of wood on pallets is not the best thing to be looking at from the pool deck during the summer.
4. Get a wood grenade... Kevin has me convinced.

I'm sure there's a few others I've forgotten. So easy to do when it's 92 outside and the kids are in the pool.

If I had it to do over again...

I wouldn't worry about the size of the viewing window. The fire only fills about half of it anyway and the bigger the window, the more likely it is to get dirty.

I'd select a more modern stove design and know what a catalytic converter was before I bought one.

I'd do a lot more research and base my decision at least 50% on function. I'd say I made my decision about 75% on looks.

Before I bought a wood fueled stove, I'd know exactly where I was going to get my wood fuel, and how much of it I was going to be able to get.

I wouldn't have built so many big fires in a funky Franklin stove that hadn't had the chimney cleaned since it was installed except when the draft quit altogether or when one of the two or three chimney fires occurred.

I wouldn't allow my room mates to install a Franklin stove and run a stove pipe out a wooden frame, double hung window using a flimsy aluminum bathroom panel to replace the glass and I wouldn't allow them to put two near 90 degree turns in a 12 foot chimney. I say chimney, but I'm using the word loosely. It was actually black stove pipe bought at the local hardware store.

I'd learn about safe clearances before I allowed my room mates to attach a chimney to the roof eve. Yes, I said attach it to the roof eve. That means almost zero clearance. Maybe there was a couple inches of air, but so what. Come to think of it, that chimney is still there, just like it was in 1976, only now, there is a Phase II EPA non-cat secondary combustion stove connected at the bottom. Miraculously, the house is still standing. I guess there is a god, or perhaps a guardian angel that looks over that place. I've mentioned it the the current residents, one of whom was one of my room mates in 1976, but they are happy enough with it and it has worked fine up to now, etc. One day I may surprise them with some real, insulated chimney pipe. I don't think they could afford to buy it. I also don't think they could afford to rebuild their house.

I also wouldn't do stupid stuff that injured my back as a young dude. I'll always be paying for that.

I wouldn't build a Holz Hausen on a hill.

This sounds like it has degraded to a tool confessional. Har har har. Come on lets see some good stuff like on "ive screwed up .com" No big regrets here though I do have more than my fair share of Chinese Grinders. Like it or not they work as well as my Maita and best of all I don't have to rip off any idiotic safety devices to make them work like with the Makita. Now come on lets herar the real dirt!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, OK. I regret sharpening the lawnmower blades this spring with a file instead of going down to Home Depot and buying a cheap Chinese grinder.

I'm pretty happy with my setup. Had some issues with the installers, shouldn't have let them do a couple of things, but everything was corrected thanks to elk's feedback. overall the quad has exceeded my expectations.

I wish I had found Hearth.com sooner, would have burned much cleaner and more efficiently. I will always make sure my wood is well seasoned and dry now. My pre-EPA will burn anything, just not really well. 1 year is good, 2-3 years is better. Being a split it by hand type of guy, I wish I had bought a super splitter, the flanged splitting axe I bought at Lowes, instead of whacking away with a plain old cutting axe. Difference of night and day. Aside from that, wouldn't do a thing different. Heating with wood is a skill, an art, and a passion. Great exercise, most awesome feeling heat there is, you get to play with fire ;-P and for me its as close to free as heat could possible get. So a story here. We have auto fill from our oil delivery guy. Our house is about 1200' first floor, open concept, loft walkway with two bedrooms and a bath on second floor. Stove is right in the middle of the house with a full brick chimney. Ceiling fan in the open concept area where the stove is, basically an ideal wood stove set up. We got oil on Feb 23, probably 35-40 gals, (my wife still used the furnace when I wasn't looking) next fill up was May 20th. My wife is now completely on board with wood heat, hardly ever uses the furnace anymore. I find the fuel ticket...7 gals! $16!!!! :coolgrin: And this was a really cold spring here in NH. I wonder what the oil guy was thinking as he was pulling out of my driveway. I have a cord or so stacked and covered near the house. As you pull out my driveway, I have my processing area with another 2-3 cords split and probably 5-6 more cords uncut and/or unsplit. I have about 10 more cords stacked in the woods that he can't see, but what he could see is 2 more years of $20.00 oil bills. Now that's something I would never do different!!

Status
Not open for further replies.