If you own a Harman, don't do this

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Liquid oxygen—abbreviated LOx, LOX or Lox in the aerospace, submarine and gas industries—is the liquid form of elemental oxygen.It was used as the oxidizer in the first liquid-fueled rocket invented in 1926 by Robert H. Goddard an application which has continued to the present.

Haha have not seen that term since my AF days.

Liquid oxygen—abbreviated LOx, LOX or Lox in the aerospace, submarine and gas industries—is the liquid form of elemental oxygen.It was used as the oxidizer in the first liquid-fueled rocket invented in 1926 by Robert H. Goddard an application which has continued to the present.

I can understand aerospace and gas industries, but what application in submarines?

Breathing, they use LOX in aircraft that go above 10k feet also

Correct.

Started using Stove Chow pellets. Better in every way than Green Supreme except one. Stove Chow is hard to light in my P43. So when I shut it off and re-lit it, I took out the Chow and put in some Supremes. I also covered the burn pot with starting gel, figuring it would burst into flame before the pellets, thus lighting the pellets more easily. Wrong. After 30 minrteutes. got a 5 blink code and a shutoff. Cleaned under the burn pot (hardly any dust), poked the holes (they were clean).

Started up again with the Supremes and no gel. Bingo. Started in 15'. The gel must have covered the air holes.

Hard to achieve ignition with no oxygen.

I tried Stove Chow in the Lopi Pioneer in the shop. They lit quickly and made a high flame. Completely the opposite of the Harman P43 at home.

As an experiment after a routine cleaning I tried a handful of pine sawdust from the shop thrown in the burn pot with some pellets on top. Seemed to give a quicker start than just pellets alone. The air holes did blow around some of the ignited sawdust. Maybe try crushing up some pellets if no sawdust around. Small bits heat up and ignite quicker than large.

I did that-it worked! Started in under ten minutes. Thanks. Mark!

To everyone in this thread using various crap liquids, gels, sawdust, etc. to start their pellet stoves-- the absolute best and easiest way is with a propane torch directed to one spot of the pellets in the burn pot for aprox. 20 seconds.

To everyone in this thread using various crap liquids, gels, sawdust, etc. to start their pellet stoves-- the absolute best and easiest way is with a propane torch directed to one spot of the pellets in the burn pot for aprox. 20 seconds.

That's how you light a Wiseway non-electric pellet stove.

Sounds like a winner, suspect better than my just leaving a teaspoon of ash in the pot. So, I'm starting to save sawdust. So, the sawdust goes in at the moment of turning it on, rather than waiting for the feed to start introducing pellets? Or "some pellets on top" means seed the burnpot with sawdust and pellets before turning the stove on?

I've been enjoying ignition in the 5.5 to 8 minute range in recent months, except immediately after the weekly light cleaning, which pushes ignition out to over 10 minutes. In both instances, would not might faster ignition, looking forward to trying it -- well, not tonight, today's high here is supposed to be 73F so I doubt I'll use the stove.

As an experiment after a routine cleaning I tried a handful of pine sawdust from the shop thrown in the burn pot with some pellets on top. Seemed to give a quicker start than just pellets alone. The air holes did blow around some of the ignited sawdust. Maybe try crushing up some pellets if no sawdust around. Small bits heat up and ignite quicker than large.

Sounds like a winner, suspect better than my just leaving a teaspoon of ash in the pot. So, I'm starting to save sawdust. So, the sawdust goes in at the moment of turning it on, rather than waiting for the feed to start introducing pellets? Or "some pellets on top" means seed the burnpot with sawdust and pellets before turning the stove on?

I've been enjoying ignition in the 5.5 to 8 minute range in recent months, except immediately after the weekly light cleaning, which pushes ignition out to over 10 minutes. In both instances, would not might faster ignition, looking forward to trying it -- well, not tonight, today's high here is supposed to be 73F so I doubt I'll use the stove.
Right after a cleaning with the burnpot clean and empty, dump a handful sawdust in with a layer of pellets over it, I then start up the stove. The layer of pellets on the sawdust helps prevent the sawdust from blowing out as it gets pushed up where the air vent holes are.

Stove Chow saga continues. Got another 1/2 ton from Home Depot. These pellets are a lot smaller than previous, which were not big. Tried self lighting with no assistance from saw dust or gel, and it lit in 10 minutes. Hurray! We can use use Room Temp again.

That sounds like a pain. Is there no other choice on pellets that are economical?

If your stove takes 10 minutes to light, you might pull the igniter out and make sure the fins aren’t full of ash.

If your stove takes 10 minutes to light, you might pull the igniter out and make sure the fins aren’t full of ash.
I've found that giving the side of the burnpot a few good hard taps with the scraper tool seems to help speed up ignition on the premise it shakes the ash off the ignitor.

Right after a cleaning with the burnpot clean and empty, dump a handful sawdust in with a layer of pellets over it, I then start up the stove. The layer of pellets on the sawdust helps prevent the sawdust from blowing out as it gets pushed up where the air vent holes are.

Today's test: 14 minutes until smoke, 15 minutes to ignition. Slowest light-off I've had in a while. But that's only after one test, will try again after next cleaning.

Get a bag of different brand pellets and see if time time shortens