If you were given a free stove of your choice...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Stove construction (in no particular order)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
NH_Wood said:
I'll take a BK performing Equinox. Oh....I guess I was supposed to pick an available stove.......hmmmm........perhaps a Mansfield! Cheers!

Yeah, if somebody was offering I would take a Mansfield in a heartbeat.

HEAT CHARACTERISTICS OF THE IDEAL WOOD HEATER

* HIGH COMBUSTION EFFICIENCY of wood allowing high firebox temps (1100* - 1500*F),
ample oxygen (stoichiometric + 1.5 - 2% additional), in a turbulent environment
* MODERATE HEAT TRANSFER EFFICIENCY to store heat and release it slowly to the room
* MAXIMUM HEAT STORAGE to minimize heat loss up the chimney

Characteristically, metal wood burning stoves have the following:

* LOWER COMBUSTION EFFICIENCY from restriction of oxygen to prevent over firing
* HIGH HEAT TRANSFER EFFICIENCY since metal is metal and conducts heat faster than
other substances used in heater construction (masonry)
* LIMITED HEAT STORAGE because metal is metal; it heats up fast and loses heat fast

This is the WHY metal stoves and masonry heaters are not an apples-to-apples comparison.
They are engineered differently, function differently and heat differently. About the only
thing they have in common is they both burn wood. The good news is, both types are
commercially available and you get to choose which to purchase.

The old saying is, "You get what you pay for." You pay more for a masonry heater
because you are buying a better heater. It's that simple.

Aye,
Marty

I think I would look to go with a cat stove ( maybe fireview) to give longer , leaner burn times for the 1000 sq ft I'm heating .

Hey, I voted nuclear in the old forum. What happened?

Another LOPI. Haven't tried anything else.

A harman 300i fireplace insert ,a very good lookin stove and also about $3000 before extras.

I might want a big cat stove like a Blaze King or a Fireview. It would mean a lot more even heat and less messing with the stove, although I wonder if I would miss messing with the stove.. Put me down for a BK King.

I would really love to have a PE alderlea T5 or a Hearthstone equinox
very useful to have something to cook on if the power goes out!
I think both are really beautiful stoves!
chuck

Welded steel because no other technology provides an actual sealed firebox long term. We've had owners of all other brands and types on this site needing to deal with air leaks. Thermal mass is overrated, I own a stone stove, the slow cool down is real but not as beneficial as a cat stove that can maintain a 400 degree stove top for the same time period.

Long and low burn times are the highest priority. Anybody that heats 24/7 and also works for a living will understand this. Of the current available stoves, the BK king/princess are the best choice for function.

Send me a princess for my current home, and a king for the shop.

I would not give up my 30. He has been good to me this season and I don't wanna fix what is not broken.
I had the 12 and the 13 :confused:
However, I am very very intrigued by those Blaze Kings.....==c
If I could try one out for a month or two, I would pick one of those buggerz..

I would not give up my 30. He has been good to me this season and I don't wanna fix what is not broken.
I had the 12 and the 13 :confused:
However, I am very very intrigued by those Blaze Kings.....==c
If I could try one out for a month or two, I would pick one of those buggerz..
What did you expect GR, from a stove named "Chief" ? ;)

I am sure there are better stoves out there, but I am content with what I have....we know each other well and they keep me warm inside and out.

4.5 cu ft stove. 6" exhaust. 24 hour burns. Wood fuel. Cast Iron. Fantastic clearances.

I don't ask for much.

I'm throwing in with the welded steel stoves.

For many reasons, but mostly that they can easily be repaired and repainted. I'm really surprised that cast iron stoves are so popular with this poll but we're wide open full throttle burners.

I'd take a antique cast iron cook stove for the kitchin but wife says no way.

I'd take a antique cast iron cook stove for the kitchin but wife says no way.
Have you shown her the Esse cookstove yet? Modern secondary burn cookstove that looks like it was designed around a hundred years ago. I WILL HAVE ONE SOMEDAY. I already have my one hearth in the kitchen and it is set up to accomodate that stove. That's where the Napoleon 1900 is right now. Some day I tell ya, SOME DAY!

http://esse.com/range-cookers/

She don't want wood in the house period. No more wood messes. we've been there and done that.

She don't want wood in the house period. No more wood messes. we've been there and done that.
My wife hated me for putting in a woodstove when I did it five years ago......now, she'd kill me if I took it out, she loves it!;lol;hm

I want a small indoor wood fired gasification boiler with two large windows for watching the flames.

I'm crackin' the break in fire on my Mansfield right now. I'm kind of liking it. So if I got a $4000 rebate making it a free stove I could be happy with that. I just upgraded from the Heritage. I needed (okay, wanted) the firebox size for my endless supply of cottonwood.

But if I was in fantasyland, I might opt for a Pheonix with a 3 cu. ft. firebox. I like the soapstone effect but one of my sons likes the hot seat of the pants effect. Maybe a Mansfield with a larger glass door would be just as good. Not a complaint, just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.