I'll try this again...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trobb

Nov 24, 2009
N.Ky.
Last time 2 fellas got in a wizzing contest and hijacked the thread and the question never got answered,

Auger or Auger motor issue...
Bottom fed Martin Venturi stove.
Auger has started clogging about 2 inches in after only a 2 week burn, prior to this I could burn
for months on end, stopping only to clean.
No change in the amount of fines I deal with.
The auger motor works but could it have loss some power?
The auger itself looks unchanged...on the end anyway.

New auger motor is $200, is there a cheaper place to start trouble shooting?

Last time 2 fellas got in a wizzing contest and hijacked the thread and the question never got answered,

If that happens again (in any thread) just use the "report" button to let the staff know.

There are a ton of knowledgeable folks here, hope they can get you going this time.

pen

How old is the stove (auger motor)? Have you tried opening the gear case (carefully) and seeing if there is dried up grease that's slowing and loading the motor? Have you tried putting some lightweight (3 in 1) oil on the motor bearings?
Is there a build-up of carbon or wood sawdust crud on the firebox end of the auger that might be causing it to stall out?

If you think replacement of the motor is the solution, these are good quality motors at a good price, and use ball bearings on the gearcase:

www.gleasonavery.com/catalog/pellet-corn-stove-motors.html

Reactions: jtakeman and pen
Shaded Pole motors stahl pretty easy. Like imacman stated if the grease has dried out. The motor will loose torque and stahl because it needs to power through the dry sticky grease.

Gleason makes a nice unit. They are rated for continues duty cycle where most of the others are only intermittent duty cycle. Plus they have bearings instead of bushings on the input/output shafts.

If your looking for a cheapy to just try to see if its helps. Look here: https://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.asp?catname=electric&keyword=GIAR

They are CW rotation, But should be convertible to CCW if you flip the motor stack. Pick the proper RPM to match yours. Not the greatest, But work decent enough to keep as a spare.

T

Auger has started clogging about 2 inches in after only a 2 week burn, prior to this I could burn

rouble shooting should be free. Parts cost money. Run a few tests on your motor for resistance on the coil, personally i would change out the auger motor and bushings. The stove is old.

FYI I gave you the info for the parts and the people who service the brand. Did you call them? Your asking about a stove that hasn't been made in 20 years that nobody except a few has ever seen.

The motor was made in 92.
The gears look good and have plenty of mid to light weight grease.
I can check the resistance on the motor but no one can seem to tell me what the resistance should be at full strength, plus it's different when there is a load on it.

sounds like a motor problem, i dont know this stove though, is it a single auger top feed or a bottom feed?

are the pellets you find in the auger after it binds up cooked or fresh? this matters
It is a bottom feed stove and the pellets that are jammed in about 2 inches are fresh not burnt.

Sounds like a old motor just not up to the job anymore.

It is a bottom feed stove and the pellets that are jammed in about 2 inches are fresh not burnt.

ok, does the feed tube itself get exposed to the flame? does it tend to build any carbon buildup on it? this happens in a lot of bottom feed units. if the carbon gets too heavy it restricts roataion of the auger and causes the motor to overheat and quit

A tube and auger polish is probably in order as well. Maybe a coat of graphite paint or moly on the auger to help things along.

ok, does the feed tube itself get exposed to the flame? does it tend to build any carbon buildup on it? this happens in a lot of bottom feed units. if the carbon gets too heavy it restricts roataion of the auger and causes the motor to overheat and quit
The tube is slick clean, the pot however does get carbon buildup but it has done that since I've owned the stove and never affected anything. The motor has never quit, it's made some funky noises but never quit.

Have you pulled the auger out for a good inspection? I found a wire wrapped around a flight once and was giving a bad feed. Just trying to shoot all possible problems without you having to get a motor assembly.

A tube and auger polish is probably in order as well. Maybe a coat of graphite paint or moly on the auger to help things along.

X2
Even a new motor can wear out faster if the auger chute is dirty with carbon or has any burrs.
Clean the auger and the chute and get a new motor.

Check for any burrs or slag
See pics
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...auger-chute-flaws-surgery-needed-here.108726/

Also buff the auger out
See pics
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...-little-auger-burs-pimp-my-auger-pics.102423/

The tube is slick clean, the pot however does get carbon buildup but it has done that since I've owned the stove and never affected anything. The motor has never quit, it's made some funky noises but never quit.

is this a single auger stove? or does the unit have a way to "push" fuel into the auger in question?

wish i knew more about your stove's design, maybe i wouldnt be "stabbing" in the dark so much

Status
Not open for further replies.