I'm bad at this...I'm stalking the pellets at Lowes. need guidance :)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What strange world do all you people's Lowes stores live in? My local Lowes NEVER has pellets, but they were perfectly fine with me coming in and pre-ordering 3 tons (free delivery on 3 tons and up). I just told them I don't care when they're coming in, just let me pre-order them and let them come in on their own.

Guidez, Where are you located?

I just called a Lowe's here (12 miles) and the gal said they have two semi truck loads sitting there. I think it's 22 to 24 skids/tons per truck. Not sure how many tons each carries exactly, but it sounds like there are plenty here in Northern KY. This is at the Florence, KY Lowe's. There are several other Lowe's within 20-25 or so miles depending which way you go and they all have plenty she said. Somersetts = $4.98 a bag. I get 10% off being a veteran also. It's $69 to deliver but I pick up my own.

Also just called at 2:22 PM (EST) Tractor Supply 9 miles away and they have Somersetts too. 60 tons on hand but $5.19 a bag.

Hey NewbieinCT,
Yes they are great dogs. Very smart. We had a male that was blueish tan, with gray and black markings. A blue. He had the blue cracked eyes also. He weighed 95lbs and was a big one. Paws were huge webbed mitts. He passed last year and my wife was crushed. He was another family member. He really latched onto her but looked out for everyone. She was his pet. Lol! Beautiful dogs.

When the kids were younger he would literally herd them around the yard. They are not common around here either And I didn't know what they were until we got ours. They are more known and popular down south in Louisiana, Alabama, Arkansas, etc; It's funny because everyone that ever saw him was intrigued and would ask what kind of mix or dog he was. I'd tell them a pure breed Catahoula and a common response was, "A Cata--What?"

I think out of all the time we saw about three people that new what he was. They are the state dog of Louisiana. Know as leopard dogs or hog dogs too. Ours got along with everything and other dogs too. He liked to heckle / play with our daughters two cats. They can be stubborn at times if they are busy with something. Many people use them on farms as working dogs. Others train them to hunt. Ours was a pet. Neat dogs!

I looked at your pic and just laughed. Yea, you know the LOOK. Smarter than you. Makes you wonder what they are thinking. Ha! They have their own website FYI if you didn't already know. Many are rescues because most need a lot of land to roam and people do not understand that. Some are fine with small yards too but in general a number of people do not realize what they are getting. Walker loved to go for rides!

Your boy sounds beautiful...and HUGE. My bigger boy is only 65lb and that is more than enough, especially when he lays on my chest in the middle of the night...heavy! I've read that blue leopards(I think they call them the McMillian line) don't usually get very big, you one the jackpot with him. 95lbs! Blues are the smaller of the three lines - so your boy must have been a big beautiful beast :) I know about quite a few 'houla fb pages - I've turned into a dog lady ;em. I'm on a few groups and I sit and look at everyone's "cata-whatas?" on my newsfeed :) It feels normal to see so many catahoulas online - then you go out into the real work and I swear, everyone around me has small dogs. Nothing wrong with small dogs but they are very different than my crazy boys! Egon, my bigger one, is my soul dog. It sounds like Walker was your wife's. We are bonded and it makes my husband jealous - but what can you do? ;P My boys are smart - smartest dogs I've met. Egon, the older one is insanely smart. I think he knows what I'm thinking before I do. I really love this breed....even if they are the reason I have gray hairs :)

Since you asked...here are my boys -- they don't have the classic catahoula ears, which is one of the reasons I think he was dumped by a breeder or a "mistake litter". Everything else out Egon is pur 'houla. Tunkey, well, he's a bit mixed up but he's got a lot of catahoula in him. Personality and body...his head just forgot to grow. He's our pinhead :)
2014-08-24 19.18.41.jpg

20140827_095612.jpg

20130602_192442.jpg 180517_501452688217_2142982_n.jpg

Reactions: bags and Peterfield
We've been buying bags of pellets here and there. Most of the pellets we bought came from Lowe's. When we ran to Lowe's over the weekend to get few things we stopped at the garden center to pick up few more bags of pellets. We were only able to find 7 bags. One of the sales associates approached us and told us that no more pellets were coming in and 7 bags was all they had left. I dont know....kinda hard to believe

Reactions: newbieinCT
What strange world do all you people's Lowes stores live in? My local Lowes NEVER has pellets, but they were perfectly fine with me coming in and pre-ordering 3 tons (free delivery on 3 tons and up). I just told them I don't care when they're coming in, just let me pre-order them and let them come in on their own.
Where are you located? I'm on the NY/CT border with a bunch of Lowes within an hour driving distance. They seem to be out of pellets this year - and when I asked, they wouldn't let me preorder. I didn't want to do that anyway b/c my local lowes is known for getting bad pellets...I wonder if they would if I didn't ask for a specific brand? About a week and a half ago, My local lowes also told me mat there were 20 trucks ordered, only 2 had arrived. They were expecting a lot more trucks int he next few weeks, so I think pellets are easier to get now...

Free delivery on 3 tons and up? that's awesome!

Yes, your bigger dog looks 100% Cata. Having the cracked eyes almost assures that. I am no Cata pro though. My wife knows everything about them. I also think the little one is a mix but definitely has some houla without a doubt.

They are a difficult dog to tell how pure they are without papers because they can vary in size some and have so many different characteristics and colors but at the same time easy to spot. I was almost sure yours were so that is why I asked. They are very unique dogs and not very common nor seen a lot.

Some vary with just the types of ears they have. Some are completely floppy like a lab while others stand up somewhat. There are also a few different lines of houlas from what I understand depending on exactly where they are from down there or what lineage.
I'm guessing Egon (the big one) is pure. It doesnt matter to me. He's amazing. I got him and thought he was an aussie/lab mix, which is what we were looking for. Took him to the vet and the vet tech said she thought he might be a catahoula. I thought she made it up....but she was right! I am always looking for more houlas - in the real world and online. If you figure out your posting issue, post a few pics of Walker. I'd love to see a big boy. If your wife posted on one of the groups I was on, I probably recognize your dog. Sadly, I know the dogs more than the owners. Someone I met on FB has two catahoulas - she planned to keep them apart while the female was in heat but they ended up finding a way to get together without her knowing. Now she has 7 gorgeous puppies. Wasn't planned but oh my....I'm glad she's so far away because I might get another if we lived closer. They are awesome!

Reactions: bags
Guidez, Where are you located?

I just called a Lowe's here (12 miles) and the gal said they have two semi truck loads sitting there. I think it's 22 to 24 skids/tons per truck. Not sure how many tons each carries exactly, but it sounds like there are plenty here in Northern KY. This is at the Florence, KY Lowe's. There are several other Lowe's within 20-25 or so miles depending which way you go and they all have plenty she said. Somersetts = $4.98 a bag. I get 10% off being a veteran also. It's $69 to deliver but I pick up my own.

Also just called at 2:22 PM (EST) Tractor Supply 9 miles away and they have Somersetts too. 60 tons on hand but $5.19 a bag.

Did you pick up any sets yet? I'm jealous they are so common there....I really stalked hard to get my 6 tons!

Reactions: bags
I live in Maine, Greater Portland area. Specifically I always order from the Lowes up in Windham, and have been getting pellets from them for ~3 years now, with the last two years having free delivery on three tons and up. Just double check with them if they do free delivery of any sort: They once tried to tack it on until I reminded them.

I simply walked in, asked them what they got, and they said "none right now", but that some would be coming in soon. I ordered, asked for a Saturday delivery, and made sure the delivery was free. They messed up and tried to deliver them too early (Seeing all the trouble people have been having, that might come across like I'm bragging. I am, :p ). When they deliver, they use a forklift to drive them down my drive, and plopped them down close to my garage (I wanted it right at the door, but my wife was sleeping when they delivered them ~7AM. Kinda spoiled, but I had a car accident recently so I'd rather have less area to walk to/from when piling them up in the garage).

Reactions: newbieinCT
Yea, I have a friend that's a vet and he couldn't believe how large he turned out. Jay's initial guess was 60-65 when he first saw him. But, he grew like a weed as a pup. Almost as big as they get (I think). There may be some that can get to 90 to 100 lbs I believe?? 95 is a typo He was 85lbs and still big and stout. I am not totally convinced he was 100% blue entirely either but had all of the looks, coloring, and features except his larger than "normal" size. He was a monster though. I think that's why we have not gotten another yet. Just not ready. As you know they are a one of a kind with innate human personalities.

That's the LOOK! Or one of them. Ask your husband. He'll know what the LOOK is. There is something about them that does seem like they read your mind or know what you are thinking moments before the thought crosses your mind. Crazy! I never got on the fb pages but my wife did. She'd show me some pics or hand me her iPad from time to time.

He definitely loved MY wife although that's not how he viewed it. He was rotten and spoiled! Same thing your husband deals with. Walker would look over at me with a jealous LOOK right back because I was the third wheel in his mind. No kidding, it was like he was playing mind games with me. LOL! I know exactly what the hubby deals with. Walker was quite the ladies dog-man charmer. I know the games Egon plays with your husband. Funny stuff! I couldn't believe the connection. I remember he would even get jealous or try to get between her and the kids (in a nice, sly, pathetic me kinda way) when she would hug them trying to block them out. That is a fact. Funny as all get out! It wasn't here or there but every single time he thought he could. "Like this is my space, get out punk!" Ha Ha ha! Rotten, rotten, rotten!

If we get another dog it will be a Catahoula without doubt. Have you seen the Catahoula dog commands shirt or poster? SIT, LAY, PAW, Etc; Pictures a dog just standing in the same stance. Then the command STAY and there's no dog and a puff of dust. Hilarious! As I mentioned they can be stubborn. Walker was extremely smart too. He knew what you were saying or telling him to do but then there is the OTHER LOOK and you knew he knew and fully understood but didn't want to do it or shot back ANOTHER LOOK of refusal. He got it but wanted to try to pull rank and be the boss. Jerk! But we loved him for being himself.

I live in Maine, Greater Portland area. Specifically I always order from the Lowes up in Windham, and have been getting pellets from them for ~3 years now, with the last two years having free delivery on three tons and up. Just double check with them if they do free delivery of any sort: They once tried to tack it on until I reminded them.

I simply walked in, asked them what they got, and they said "none right now", but that some would be coming in soon. I ordered, asked for a Saturday delivery, and made sure the delivery was free. They messed up and tried to deliver them too early (Seeing all the trouble people have been having, that might come across like I'm bragging. I am, :p ). When they deliver, they use a forklift to drive them down my drive, and plopped them down close to my garage (I wanted it right at the door, but my wife was sleeping when they delivered them ~7AM. Kinda spoiled, but I had a car accident recently so I'd rather have less area to walk to/from when piling them up in the garage).

Brag away! Early pellets are worth bragging about :)

I just visited Portland area this year for the first time in my life. How did I never make it up there before? It's amazing up there and I plan to return as often as possible!

Did you pick up any sets yet? I'm jealous they are so common there....I really stalked hard to get my 6 tons!

I already have 1 ton of Pro's ($236 w/ tax we have to pay in KY & IN) that I picked up where I bought the stove but no, not yet. I've been trying for days now but haven't been able to. I was planning on going Sunday but had other things going instead. Hopefully, tomorrow but definitely before NLT Fri. morning. Going out of town this weekend. I am not too worried since every store around has plenty. I will check into the free delivery for sure. I didn't specify what I wanted over the phone. I just asked how many they had, how much, and delivery fee. I think they do offer free delivery on purchases over a certain amount. I have trucks and trailers but fuel costs too. I could get 8-9 tons in one trip if I needed to. Going to buy another 3-4 tons minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.