I'm confused!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lobsta1

Sep 6, 2007
Eastern Ma.
I've been burning wood since the energy crunch in the 1970s. I've always read or have been told to never burn things like wax paper or cartons covered in wax.
(old milk cartons, frozen food boxes, pizza boxes, etc.) This is to prevent wax buildup & fire danger in the flue. Now I read on these forums recommendations to put paraffin in egg cartons or purchase some of the artificial firestarters (essentially the same idea).

So, does this mean that everything that I've been taught is just an old wives myth?

Al

It's fine in small quantities, but just like wood, if it's not fully burning, the it's producing creosote(or wax in this case). I wouldn't recommend making a habit of burning duraflame logs as a primary fuel, but the amounts used in a firestarter aren't going to cause much trouble.

I agree. Use in very small amounts, and the amount used to start a fire would be very small indeed, plus at that time you are going to have some force to push that stuff out the chimney instead of going up the chimney slowly like it will after you have had the fire going for some time.

When the little lady isn't around I burn all that stuff lobsta1...flattened out plastic bottles are my favorite.

My only problem is my firebox is only 18" so I've got to literally quarter a tire before I can even get it in the firebox. Man you should see the secondaries when you put an old uniroyal on a nice hot bed of coals!

Wood pellets give alot of bang for the buck. One 40lb bag gives me 75-100 starts. I put a small scoop in between two splits or rounds and then one on top. I use a cane torch for a few seconds to ignite the pellets. Once ignited, they gassify well and draw air over themselves creating a robust 'fire tunnel' which will ignite all but the greenest of rounds.

TS

lobsta1 said:
I've been burning wood since the energy crunch in the 1970s. I've always read or have been told to never burn things like wax paper or cartons covered in wax.
(old milk cartons, frozen food boxes, pizza boxes, etc.) This is to prevent wax buildup & fire danger in the flue. Now I read on these forums recommendations to put paraffin in egg cartons or purchase some of the artificial firestarters (essentially the same idea).

So, does this mean that everything that I've been taught is just an old wives myth?

Al

I burn everything that will burn. Everything. I call it recycling.

Adios Pantalones said:
The steel belting is a PITA when you clean out the ash

Nah, you just take it out and put it in the dishwasher then use a little at a time as steel wool to clean the pots with! ;-)

Beverage cartons are now mostly plastic coated, so I wouldn't burn them. Please don't burn plastic in your stove; it generates nasty pollutants. Not good for you or your neighbors.

I posted a thread on starting a fire w/ bacon fat, because I was worried about safety. Now that I'm reassured that it won't hurt my stovepipe, I have an excuse to cook bacon.

drdoct said:
My only problem is my firebox is only 18" so I've got to literally quarter a tire before I can even get it in the firebox. Man you should see the secondaries when you put an old uniroyal on a nice hot bed of coals!

You may laugh at this, but I know a guy whos grandfather used to heat the old farm house with wood and some sections of tire. Now you do have to remember this is someone coming from the depression era, but it was a practice used by some, especially in rural place, years ago. Of course I couldn't even imagine doing it now or seeing what comes out of that chimney .

Status
Not open for further replies.