I'm Confused

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hct4all

Hearth Supporter
Mar 28, 2010
Western, PA
I installed my stove and put in the chimney at camp few weeks ago. I will not burn until fall. I have a part that has a contradictory warning so I did not install the attic insulation shield. Is it needed? If so why does it say "Caution risk of fire. Do not enclose. Remove this insulation shield prior to enclosing chimney in attic. I followed the instructions and am just plain confused.
IMG_0619.jpg

Thanks,

Rick

I think that means if you are building a chase around the chimney in the attic. You need this in an attic with insulation near it. Purpose is to keep insulation from touching chimney. See the vertical downward aiming tabs? They should fit inside the 2x4 or 2x6 box built to hold the ceiling support box (where the chimney sits). I think the main idea with this is - if someone is unaware of chimney and blows in cellulose insulation - won't be a problem.

That is what I thought and it will be no problem to install in the support box, but the label states attic space so I figured I would error on the side of caution and ask.

Thanks,

Rick

Here is a pic of my install, the insulation shield prevents attic insulation from contacting the chimney.

Attachments

• Picture 156.jpg
    Picture 156.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 439
hct4all, can you describe the entire flue installation? Is this for an open roofed cabin using a cathedral ceiling support box or is it an installation with the class A pipe supported at the 1st floor ceiling, then going through an attic? A picture or diagram would help.

It is a flat ceiling with an 4"-18" "attic" on top. I used the supervent kit from Lowes. It is enclosed, hence my confusion. Above the bedrooms is a storage loft. The ceiling is angled on the ends and flat in the middle where I put the chimney.
Thanks,

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.