I'm looking for a solid comealong

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
I've seen real cheap ones at Harbor Freight but am thinking those might be cheaply made...? The HF one specifically says "One ratcheting wheel" so do better ones come with 2 ratcheting wheels? I'm looking for a great deal on a good unit!

bought a heavy duty one a tsc 35 buck very beefy looking

Check out these guys. http://www.wyeth-scott.com/ I have the 2 ton model. I bought it about 12 years ago. It is a little clunky to work with, but is a high quality, heavy duty tool. I've pulled all kinds of stuff with it. It is not cheap, but most well made things aren't. It uses 5/16 wire rope, not the 3/16 that the cheap ones use.
4.jpg

Flatbedford said:
Check out these guys. http://www.wyeth-scott.com/ I have the 2 ton model. I bought it about 12 years ago. It is a little clunky to work with, but is a high quality, heavy duty tool. I've pulled all kinds of stuff with it. It is not cheap, but most well made things aren't. It uses 5/16 wire rope, not the 3/16 that the cheap ones use.
4.jpg

there's a good one

I'm looking for the kind that use a nylon strap instead of steel cable. I'm tired of guiding the wraps on the drum so that the cable doesn't get pinched and damaged. The strap type does have fewer feet of capacity and not setup for two part line. Also the ratio changes quickly as the number of wraps increase.

When I have more money than I know what to do with, I'll buy a good chain type come-along.

Status
Not open for further replies.