1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

I'm thinking about buying Cleanfire Pacific Blend. Any thoughts?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Jason Knapp, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Woody1911a1

Woody1911a1 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Marblehead , Ma
    there's no way that stove chow and fs are the same pellet . may be made by the same company , but not the same pellet .

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. jack kunicki

jack kunicki Member

Loc:
    Highland, NY
    Chow comes from the pa plant. Fsu comes from the Quebec one. So technically you're correct. Same company, different plants, different bags.
  3. Woody1911a1

Loc:
    Marblehead , Ma
    and very different pellets :)
  4. jack kunicki

jack kunicki Member

Loc:
    Highland, NY
    You know you're probably right. I came across some fsu a few weeks ago when I was out of town. I passed over them because the few bags left on the pallet looked like they'd seen better days. I've yet to see them locally but I'm very curious.
  5. Woody1911a1

Loc:
    Marblehead , Ma
    FS's were the first pellets i bought when i got my stove and they aren't bad , just very mediocre . a couple of weeks ago my hd got some stove chows and was very pleasantly suprised . a little ashy , not bad though and they burned great ! last week when it was low single digits here , i was burning both chows and GT's and was roasty toasty . and....... the chows were only $209 :)
  6. jack kunicki

jack kunicki Member

Loc:
    Highland, NY
    I was burning the same exact stuff.
  7. Woody1911a1

Loc:
    Marblehead , Ma
    great minds think alike :)
    jack kunicki likes this.
  8. Jason Knapp

Jason Knapp Member

Loc:
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Do you guys like Energex? My EP 25 is burning really nicely right now with prestologs, but I can't get anymore. Energex is a lower price than Barefoots.
    opinions of energex and barefoots?
  9. stovelark

stovelark Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE CT
    Hi Jason- Yes cleanfire pac very good pellet, just like okanagans. Vermont good pellets too, turmans are good, cleanfire hardwoods burn good too, but softwoods are hotter. I'd think Barefoot or Energex would be good. Hamer's hot ones are good too, make sure they're from WVA plant. In this cold wx we've been having, pellets make the difference it seems. Been having to burn both pellet stoves or the hammer (woodstove) downstairs and pellet insert upstairs. Have managed to stay warm happy to report from SE Ct. Good luck

Stovelark
    Enviro EF3 FS pellet
    Enviro Empress FPI AC pellet
    Enviro Kodiak 1700 FS wood.
  10. RK_MacKendrick

RK_MacKendrick Member

Loc:
    NW CA
  11. Phil Do's fire.

Phil Do's fire. Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hyde Park, NY
    HD on north route 9 has Prestologs (Lignetics) .cleaner burn than Chow:p
  12. smwilliamson

smwilliamson Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southcoast, MA
    Cleanfire Pacifics...very good pellet. This is one you can buy before you try.

This year I have been trying a little bit of what my customers burn to share in the pains and pleasure....I draw the line at Inferno, North American, Nations Choice, Michigans

Burning Spruce Pointes right now, great pellet like the Cleanfires. Going to get 1 ton of these to ride out the rest of the season..

This year:

Fireside Ultra - better than years past, very good
    Somerset - HOT HOT Heat but clinkery in my stoves
    Green Team - Very Hot very clean, always somewhat consistent in this dept.
    Okies - Very very hot and nothing for ash, as expected
    Cleanfire Pacifics - Also very hot and a little dark gray fluffy ash
    Trebios - Very Hot, light gray ash, but more ash than the Firesides, which confused me
    LG's - Burned 4 bags...Very Hot, similar burn to Cleanfire Pacifics but lighter ash color, maybe more...couldn't tell, pellet smells the same ans looks the same
    Spruce Pointes - Very very HOT, Nothing for ash, as expected
    NEWP and Green Teams - Very good Heat, somewhat moderate for ash, med gray stiffer ash
  13. CT Pellet

CT Pellet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Torrington, CT
    Morning Scott.......Is it even possible for something to be "Always somewhat consistent?"

Scott, you would agree wouldn't you that there is no manufacturer out there called "CleanFire Pacific" and that this label is owned by a sole retailer which sends the bags out to be filled? And truthfully, depending upon where the bags are filled will have some influence over the quality of the pellet, no?

A very common misconception is that "Nations Choice" is rebagged "Inferno".....
    Somewhat true, but in actuality, the label "Nation's Choice" is not owned by Inferno, but it is owned by a pellet distribution company. Nations Choice is sometimes filled with Inferno, but not always. There are other brands that have gone into this bag as well which would account for the inconsistant reports and reviews of "Nations Choice."
  14. smwilliamson

smwilliamson Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southcoast, MA
    "always somewhat consistent" is a fence sitting comment I will agree. Though WP.com does not own a mill, whatever or whomever fills that bag fills it with a quality product which they stand behind...good enough for me...so the extra you pay for it, whether it be Eagle Valley, LG or whatever that is in there, consider the label your insurance of quality. just sayin.
  15. CT Pellet

CT Pellet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Torrington, CT
    I respect your opinion and accept your explanation. :(
  16. Bank

Bank Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    S. Maine
    I'm burning CleanFire Pacifics from two years ago from WP.com...I think there one of the better pellets I;ve burned.
  17. kgaines

kgaines Member

Loc:
    Central MA
    The CleanFire Pacific pellets I had last year are very different than the ones I got this year. Both burn hot, but the ones this year leave a hard crusty chunk in the pot of my Castille.. The pellets this year are a lot darker than the ones I got last year.
  18. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Cleanfire(both hard and sofwood) don't make their own pellets. They use other mills to make and bag pellets for them. So there could be some variance with them. For the most part the stuff they get is pretty darn close, But still a chance for some differences.
  19. 7521

7521 New Member

Loc:
    California sierras
    Any info on pellets available in the Fresno CA area?
  20. Phil Do's fire.

Phil Do's fire. Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hyde Park, NY
    Somersets are available through DOITBEST.COM and ships to local hardware stores in the Newburgh area, I just got a ton for $249.00:)