I'm thinking Stihl chainsaws are nothing but hype!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
John Deere didn't just slap their name on Scotts lawn tractors, instead they bought the factory and changed the color. They are right down the road from me and all of the big box stores sell them.

What company's CEO told HD "no" when they wanted him to cheapen the product to be carried? Was it Snapper?

I'm always amused by people who think a brand is "junk' by their experience with just one unit, especially with so many possibilites for why it failed. Just as amusing is the comment about tree services buying into "hype". I worked for two tree services and ran my own for years. Companies who need to make a profit don't make a commitment to a brand for many years due to hype. It's due to experience. Most use Stihls or Husky's for a reason, and it ain't hype!

I'm always amused by people who think a brand is "junk' by their experience with just one unit, especially with so many possibilites for why it failed. Just as amusing is the comment about tree services buying into "hype". I worked for two tree services and ran my own for years. Companies who need to make a profit don't make a commitment to a brand for many years due to hype. It's due to experience. Most use Stihls or Husky's for a reason, and it ain't hype!
Well, to be honest, there are only a few brands of chainsaw out there, if you don't include the recent chinese clones. Most professionals use Husky and Stihl because they are the only options. Makita/Dolmar and even Poulan used to make professional grade saws, but they were never anywhere near the volume of Stihl and Husky.

Reactions: weee123
Well, to be honest, there are only a few brands of chainsaw out there, if you don't include the recent chinese clones. Most professionals use Husky and Stihl because they are the only options. Makita/Dolmar and even Poulan used to make professional grade saws, but they were never anywhere near the volume of Stihl and Husky.
Can’t forget Mcculloch and Homelite!

Reactions: Ashful
... and Echo, and Craftsman.

I've owned, in this order:

McCulloch (1970's)
Craftsman (1970's)
Homelite (1980's)
Echo (1990's)
Stihl (1990's - 2000's)
Husqvarna (2010's)

The Craftsman was the sole electric (110V), all others were 2-stroke. Oh, and there was an electric pole saw in there somewhere, can't even remember the brand, now I use Stihl Kombi for that.

Does McCulloch, Craftsman, Echo, or Homelite make a pro saw these days? I do know the pros like the small top handle Echos, but aside from that exception I haven't heard of any professionals using those brands. It really is just Stihl and Husky for pro saws.

Does McCulloch, Craftsman, Echo, or Homelite make a pro saw these days? I do know the pros like the small top handle Echos, but aside from that exception I haven't heard of any professionals using those brands. It really is just Stihl and Husky for pro saws.
I don't think Craftsman ever made anything anyone would consider a pro saw, but they were good reliable units for homeowner use. In fact, the 1970's electric my father had bought and which I used growing up, is still in use today by one of my uncles, I gave it to him about 20 years ago.

I'm not sure how Echo classes their saws, I'd consider them "Farm and Ranch" grade, based on HP/weight ratio and materials. Or put otherwise, they seem to be of similar quality and HP/weight to any Stihl Farmboss of similar age. Echo has always had a strong following with local landscape companies, maybe due to fleet management deals, they all seem to carry Echo string trimmers, blowers, and a chainsaw. That said, the last Echo saw I owned was a 1990's 510EVL.

My father and grandfather used to own several McCulloch's, that I used growing up. But they were all 1970's models, so I have no idea what they're doing today. The McCulloch string trimmer I bought ca.2000 was a complete POS, absolute Chinese plastic garbage.

I don't think Craftsman ever made anything anyone would consider a pro saw, but they were good reliable units for homeowner use. In fact, the 1970's electric my father had bought and which I used growing up, is still in use today by one of my uncles, I gave it to him about 20 years ago.

I'm not sure how Echo classes their saws, I'd consider them "Farm and Ranch" grade, based on HP/weight ratio and materials. Or put otherwise, they seem to be of similar quality and HP/weight to any Stihl Farmboss of similar age. Echo has always had a strong following with local landscape companies, maybe due to fleet management deals, they all seem to carry Echo string trimmers, blowers, and a chainsaw. That said, the last Echo saw I owned was a 1990's 510EVL.

My father and grandfather used to own several McCulloch's, that I used growing up. But they were all 1970's models, so I have no idea what they're doing today. The McCulloch string trimmer I bought ca.2000 was a complete POS, absolute Chinese plastic garbage.
I'm not saying the brands other than Stihl and Husky are bad, just that they are the only names in town for pro gear. It's not that the pros only use those brands by choice, there are simply no other options. So they are by default the best options. The fact that pros use Stihl and husky should not be evidence they are the best or only good brands, simply that they are the only ones playing in the pro space.

I've used Poulan and Echo stuff in the Army, gear that's only started two or three weeks out of the year. It always started after some love and attention, and I don't think I saw a single Husky product and maybe one Stihl trimmer. I don't have a local echo, homelite, or Poulan dealer, so it's all orange and white for me.

I think Jonsered, Dolmar and Makita chainsaws are the same company. Same with Craftsman and Poulan.

I'm not saying the brands other than Stihl and Husky are bad, just that they are the only names in town for pro gear.
I'm pretty much all Stihl these days. I have one Husqvarna top handle (T435), but I wish I had gone Stihl on that one, too. Just not a fan of Husqvarna's cheap flexible plastic chassis and chain brake lever.

But regarding the others, it comes down to how often you use it. A pro saw may be a waste of money for anyone using it so infrequently that fuel and carb issues will dictate its reliability or useful lifespan, before other factors. I'm using my saws probably 100x to 500x more hours per year than an average homeowner, but also probably 50x less than any pro.

Reactions: MJSullivan56
I think Jonsered, Dolmar and Makita chainsaws are the same company. Same with Craftsman and Poulan.
Jonsered is gone. They were made by Husky and many of the parts are interchangeable with Husky saws. I have seen saws that are literally a combination of Red and Orange parts to make a running saw.

Makita has owned Dolmar for 30 years. They make pro saws but I have never used one. I would like to try one.

I have used Dolmar and Makita cut off saws (literally the exact same saw, just different color) but Stihl has the cut off market buttoned up pretty tight.

too late to get into dolmar/makita saws makita has completly abandoned gas power equipment. they have been dumping whaterver stocks are left the last 2 years. Its too bad prior to Makita , sachs owned dolmar for awhile. dolmar was one of the big 3 years ago but never had a large following stateside.

dolmar was one of the big 3 years ago but never had a large following stateside.
I wonder if there's some marketing rule to say that any market can really only afford two key players.

1. Lowes vs. Home Depot
2. Stihl vs. Husqvarna
3. Comcast vs. Verizon
4. AT&T Wireless vs. Verizon Wireless
5. Ford vs. Chevy

But then, where's Dodge?

Reactions: SpaceBus
some marketing rule to say that any market can really only afford two key players
It hasn't always been this way. It's just the endgame of free market - keep acquiring your competitors until there's nothing left. The natural trend is big companies get bigger and gobble up all the little ones.

I wonder if there's some marketing rule to say that any market can really only afford two key players.

1. Lowes vs. Home Depot
2. Stihl vs. Husqvarna
3. Comcast vs. Verizon
4. AT&T Wireless vs. Verizon Wireless
5. Ford vs. Chevy

But then, where's Dodge?
Based on some light searching, prior to the pandemic, Ford would have been selling twice as many trucks as Dodge with GM (Chevy + GMC) being close if not ahead of Ford. So basically Dodge is the Echo of the half ton market. If talking about diesel trucks I'm not sure, but that's a fairly small market compared to half tons.

have had Dolmars for some 40+ years( guess I always like to buck the trend)when everyone else was wrenching on their ford ,dodge, gmc i was a Packard Hudson Rambler Amc guy ( there was always a Ford hiding out though)

They ain't hype. I bought my Stihl 034 on March 28, 1992. It was my main saw for 30 yrs. When it was 7 yrs. old the ignition coil went out. They fixed it for free. A few weeks ago , it would not stay running. I thought what? it always starts. I took it in to my Ace Hardware guy and the guy at the counter said the mechanic is an old school guy and wont fix what is not broken. I pick it up and it needed a car rebuild, a hose, a gas filter . It came to $131 with tax... Yah, piece of junk.. Runs great now. I can go through a 4" popple in 2 seconds. Piece of junk... I also have an 026 that has not run decent in many years . The kid at the other Ace sais it's a crank case leak... I am going back to the Ace that fixed my 034 and was more than happy with the $131 repair. I bet when I get that 026 back , it wont be a crank case leak and will be less than the $300 the kid told me. You see, ,, a LOT depends on the mechanic. I have many times had bad mechanics cost me cause they replaced parts and the car still wad not right. I remember getting a transmission fixed for $1,100 just to have it still downshift while going down the highway...... It was a $127 speed sensor. No way to prove it didnt need a tranny rebuild.

Best Pro saws on the planet, bar none.

I've been buying Echo for the last few years. A 5 year residential use warranty on a chainsaw , trimmer, and battery is really nice. I bought an electric trimmer in March 2021. The 58v battery would not charge last month. I contacted Echo on-line and after trying to reset the battery which did not work, they shipped a new battery at no cost.
The Echo CS-590 24 inch bar Timber Wolf I recently purchased is a good saw. The price is nice as well. I paid $439.

Last edited:
Reactions: sloeffle
I've been buying Echo for the last few years. A 5 year residential use warranty on a chainsaw , trimmer, and battery is really nice. I bought an electric trimmer in March 2021. The 58v battery would not charge last month. I contacted Echo on-line and after trying to reset the battery which did not work, they shipped a new battery at no cost.
The Echo CS-590 24 inch bar Timber Wolf I recently purchased is a good saw. The price is nice as well. I paid $439.

I have an ECHO 620P and a 501P. They are good saws. However, they are not what some crack them up to be on this board. I I love my 501P, my 620P, my Stihl 034, my Stihl 441 and I love my Stihl 026 but is heading for the shop soon... I love them all.. They're all chainsaws , aren't they? I would be stuck without them.

Reactions: armanidog
I bet when I get that 026 back , it wont be a crank case leak
An 026 is certainly plenty old enough to need a crank seal though...wouldn't surprise me at all.