1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Importance of protection

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Standingdead, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    Chaps, helmet w/face shield and muffs, Kevlar gloves, and steel toed boots 98% of the time a saw is running in my hands. I have been know to skip PPE for one cut, but always have it all on when I'm working. Either cutting in the woods or just bucking logs in the driveway. Bought first chaps and helmet in 1996.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. TreePointer

TreePointer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western PA
    My brothers and I had no power saws growing up. It was all bowsaws, axes, and a two-man crosscut. We always assumed that my father wanted us to learn how to use hand tools, the rewards of physical labor, and to toughen us a bit. Eventually we learned that the major driving force behind his not having chainsaws around was the time he spent working in an emergency room and the terrible chainsaw injures he saw. Later in life, he was very pleased to see that I wore all my PPE when cutting on his farm.
    flhpi, Nixon and Soundchasm like this.
  3. kingston73

kingston73 Member

Loc:
    SE MA
    My neighbor will go out in shorts, sneakers, no shirt and use his saw. I really don't understand how somebody can be so uncaring about their ability to walk...
  4. BCC_Burner

BCC_Burner Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Wasatch Front: 7800'
    He probably figures in that getup he'll either end up safe or dead. Don't want to have to deal with a long, painful recovery.
    Soundchasm likes this.
  5. Stegman

Stegman Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Sterling, MA
    I don't cut as much as most of the folks on the board, but I wear chaps when bucking logs [though not necessarily felling]. Always wear ear protection. Usually wear a helmet when felling.

In addition to safety gear, I have a pet peeve related to technique. I can't believe how many people "drop start" their saws. Talk about a recipe for disaster. I always start mine on the ground with a foot stabilizing. I realize there's probably a time and place for drop starting - like if you're limbing a tree up in a bucket truck or something - but other than that it strikes me as incredibly stupid and risky.
  6. TreePointer

Loc:
    Western PA
    I had the same fears about drop starting when first around chainsaws. I used the foot in the handle method and then graduated to holding it between my legs (both methods approved in Stihl manuals).

When I became more comfortable with handling saws, I moved to drop starting (which I never thought I'd do). I wanted to try it to see if it had some advantages or if it was simply a clever trick that looks cool. These days, I'll drop start most saws and even string trimmers just because it's often the easiest method. I understand why chainsaw manufacturers (and their lawyers ;)) do not recommend drop starting, but I've become comfortable with it and at my skill level.
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  7. Flatbedford

Loc:
    I drop started until I saw one of those safety videos on the web a couple years ago. I have since changed to the hold between the legs method. Just seems like a better way to work most of the time.
  8. Gunny

Gunny Member

Loc:
    S.E Michigan
    Amazingly the military still acknowledges the drop start as well. I have been drop starting my whole life and never had a problem. Kind of controled ciaos! The military and the manufactures still identify the drop start yet don't endorse it.
  9. TreePointer

Loc:
    Western PA
    I had always thought that drop starting wasn't nearly as dangerous as the between-the-legs method--until I realized that I had the saw backwards!

:)
    flhpi and BrotherBart like this.
  10. CenterTree

CenterTree Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SouthWest-Central PA
    Standingdead and TreePointer like this.
  11. TreePointer

Loc:
    Western PA
    Those Labonville chaps have a quality construction. I have the 6-ply full wrap version.
    CenterTree likes this.
  12. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    My wife and I sent a pair of chaps to a lady member here last year as a Christmas present when she bought a saw. We didn't want a teacher's students calling her "Stumpy". Seriously folks having paid the emergency room bill, chaps are cheap. The blue denim filling the bar told me jeans won't stop a chain. And with my stupid habit of coming out of the cut and swinging the bar to the left, I just can't break the habit, the nicks in the chaps keep telling me that they are worth 100 times more than they cost.
    TreePointer and AnalogKid like this.
  13. BIGDADDY

BIGDADDY Feeling the Heat

I wear steel toe boots. I have chaps but never wore them yet. Maybe I'll start. I have the habit of locking the chain when the saw is running before I take a step I think that is a good habit.
  14. TreePointer

Loc:
    Western PA
    Enter CHAINSAW INJURIES into google and then click on "Images." That certainly inspires me to wear chaps and the rest of my PPE.
    BrotherBart likes this.
  15. wingarcher

wingarcher Member

Loc:
    NY
    This isn't the video I was trying to find, but it sure is a good demonstration of what saw chaps can do for you. Full blast saw straight down into them, didn't get through the nylon inner layer that would be against the leg. And they're cheap, too! The technology that goes into a wearable garment that can stop a full throttle saw in the space of, what... 1/8" fabric? Get some.

16. CenterTree

CenterTree Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SouthWest-Central PA
    Just a little note to add. The chaps will not work (and are not recommended) for those who may use an electric chainsaw. (not sure if anyone here does).
  17. STIHLY DAN

STIHLY DAN Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So NH
    Embarrassed To admit, that would be me. I have a few carhartts with a nice long tear in them from the saw, and a couple boots that are not water proof anymore. I just can't get myself to buy /use chaps. I know it's stupid, which in turn makes me stupid, especially when I do cut myself. Typing this makes me want to go out and buy some inconspicuous chaps, but in a few hours the importance will have lessoned to just an after thought.
  18. ErikR

ErikR Member

Loc:
    northern WI
    After reading this thread, I did the right thing and ordered a set of chaps. I am no stranger to safety gear, and wear ATGATT (all the gear all the time) while motorcycling. While I was looking at chainsaw chaps, I noticed that many of them were bright colors. I suppose the bright colors might help a co-worker avoid cutting into your leg, but I cut alone and would prefer to wear something less conspicuous while cutting wood. I didn't want to feel like I was deer hunting every time I geared up! I found a set in a navy blue color. I do believe that bright colored safety gear has it's place, and wear a neon lime jacket while riding... I want to be seen in that situation.

I have a couple of sets of custom molded ear plugs that work well for both riding and cutting. The next thing I'll look for will be a hard hat/face shield.
    Soundchasm likes this.
  19. Flatbedford

Loc:
    I guess you don't want the trees to see you coming.
  20. peakbagger

peakbagger Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern NH
    While on the subject of chaps, I have a pair of Labonville suspenders for mine. When moving around cutting, the chaps (especially the newer styles) tend to slide down and restrict movement. With a pair of suspenders they stay where they should.
    Standingdead likes this.
  21. TreePointer

Loc:
    Western PA
    I like wearing orange because it adds a a little more insurance when cutting during various hunting seasons and near roads. Also, if something happens, it's easier to be found wearing blaze orange.
  22. BIGDADDY

BIGDADDY Feeling the Heat

So y
    u wish to found interesting.
  23. TreePointer

Loc:
    Western PA
    Urgent: Replace batteries in your translator.
    Bluezx636, BrotherBart and rowerwet like this.
  24. PSYS

PSYS Member

Loc:
    WISCONSIN
    Awesome post.

I'm a newbie and used a chainsaw for the first time under the supervision of an experienced wood burner. I ordered chainsaw chaps on the same day I ordered the chainsaw. It does not take much for a serious accident to happen. The chainsaw does not even START until I'm wearing the chaps. I know they're not the end all, be all... but they're certainly better than your slim fitting blue jeans. !!!
  25. 1970roadrunner

1970roadrunner New Member

Loc:
    Ontario
    My first post on here-I must say this is a good site, a ton of info!

I wear chainsaw pants (work pants with the protective material built in). I just wear them as my work pants when doing my firewood, cutting, splitting, stacking, whatever. They fit like a normal set of pants and the protection is always there.