1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Importance of protection

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Standingdead, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Clarkbug

Clarkbug Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate NY
    Just a note to those reading this thread and thinking they might want some chaps....

Checked out the www.labonville.com site, and it turns out they are having a 20% off sale on Black Friday. So, if you or someone you know needs some protective gear, that would be a great way to get some!

I got a pair of their full wrap chaps last year for Christmas, and they are pretty great. Easy to put on, comfortable, the full wraps dont get snagged in any brush, and made in the USA! Also, keep an eye on length, they are sorta funny to order.
    CenterTree and TreePointer like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. CenterTree

CenterTree Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    SouthWest-Central PA
    As good of an idea that it is to always wear chaps (and more),,, We should all remember that there is NO substitute for working cautious and having mental awareness every second while cutting.

I try to not let myself become "over-confident" just because I am wearing safety gear.

Situational awareness applies to MANY aspects of life.

Clarkbug likes this.
  3. Slow1

Slow1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern MA
    As some wise individual once said to me "The most important piece of safety gear is in your head, don't lose it!"
    CenterTree and Backwoods Savage like this.
  4. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Welcome to the forum 1970roadrunner.
  5. rowerwet

rowerwet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA
    I wear steel toes to work so I use the for cutting, I wouldn't think of moving wood without good gloves.
    I got the helmet with ear cups and face shield for $20 on fleabay, believe it or not from england... go figure.
    the chaps were also a fleabay deal for $60, anybody wanting to sneak up on trees I'de be happy to trade you mine are green and I wish they were orange.
    I wish they were vented like expensive motorcycle leathers can be, I just couldn't force myself to wear them in the dog days of August..
  6. 1750

1750 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Michigan
    Does anyone have a favorite brand of steel-toed boots they want to recommend?
  7. Seanm

Seanm Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    SE BC Canadian Rockies
    Welcome to the site fellow British Columbian! Im sure you will enjoy it here. What region are you in?
  8. brakatak

brakatak Member

Loc:
    SE Mass.
    for a long time, i didnt wear any safety gear until my buddy (a tree guy, pro) got torn up pretty good from a Kickback. Surgery on face and shoulder. Since then, i bought the Stihl Woodcutter Safety Kit for $99 which includes helmet, chaps, ear and eye protection. not bad for 99. I feel so much more safe and confident now.

this is pretty much same package.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chainsaw-Sa...ultDomain_0&hash=item1c3818ab8c#ht_125wt_1362
  9. rowerwet

rowerwet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA
    red wing, stupid expensive in the store, reasonable on fleabay. I bought my last two pairs that way, in new condition. (my employer reimbursed me up to $85, I spent less than that)
    It also depends on how you wear them. Back when I had to buy my own steel toe boots, I would buy the brahma boots at wallyworld. wearing them full time at work (air plane mechanic, on my feet all day walking and standing) I would get 6 months out of a pair.
    If you are just wearing them to work wood a few hours a year, they should last for years. (the expensive insoles Dr. scholls sells with the machine you stand on, are worth the money)
  10. JP11

JP11 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Maine
    My dad cut into his leg a good inch. He was lucky. Brand new chain, and saw was winding down.

After that, he bought 3 sets of chaps, and 3 helmets. Told my brother and I he would kick our az if he saw us touching a saw without the stuff on.

Lesson stuck.

JP
    TreePointer likes this.
  11. 1970roadrunner

1970roadrunner New Member

Loc:
    British Columbia
    Thanks for the welcome guys!

I live in northern BC (PG)
  12. burnt03

burnt03 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Peachland, BC, Canada
    Saw this video on arboristsite a few months ago, always makes me think twice about which boots I'm putting on when heading out for firewood

13. Slow1

Slow1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern MA
    I bet that chain needed sharpening after the test eh?