Improved Heritage burn using chimney damper - REVISED: New IR Thermometer - bunch o readings.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
velvetfoot said:
for what purpose?
I get about 150º - 200º difference between the centre and the corners. When the firebox is not full up I have trouble keeping the corners clear as they only reach about 550ºF compared to 750ºF at the centre. It takes 650+ºF to keep the corners clean.

well i ran all weekend with the air intake 3/4 covered,the stove performed great.nice slow floating flames,awsum secondarys ,I will be checking the pipe ssoon ,but the way it looks,this stove will be better with the extra air control..anyone else trying this experment? please if you do report back..

I got a general difference of 100-150F when it got settled down to 750 or so in the middle.
Now, its about 730 and a hundred less in each corner.
On the other hand, one corner was more than the middle, say 890 vs 800 when things were going stronger-the others were about 100F cooler.
Of course the gun has to cool off I imagine, 'cause it gives inaccurate ambient results after the close-ups.

On another subject, from my couch at 11' away from the insert, I'm finding a factor of about 1.3-1.4 or so to scale up the couch readings to glass point blank. That is, a 548F reading is translating to 720F at the glass. I just took a few readings when it was going strong and now that it's cruising. When the glass reading was 900 I got a higher 1.4 factor. I don't know how consistent this will be. I took the highest readings I could get at both locations.

velvetfoot said:
On another subject, from my couch at 11' away from the insert, I'm finding a factor of about 1.3-1.4 or so to scale up the couch readings to glass point blank.
The "distance to spot ratio" on most cheap IR thermometers is 12:1, so, if you are 11' away you are measuring the average of an area that is 11" in diameter.

Status
Not open for further replies.