Improving Draft?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief Ryan

Mar 17, 2008
Long Island NY
Is there any good way to improve draft besides increasing the length of your chimney or insulating the liner. Ive seen turbine caps, something called the windkat and a few other things.

I have a short flue, 10 to 11 feet and i just want to make sure i'm ok this winter.

Most company spec 15' minimum chimney height. I know this ain't what you want to hear. But I suggest adding a 4' pc or more on top and see how that works. Longer pipe = more draft.
I have 27' and it drafts reallllll well.

Taller chimney, insulated liner are the two easiest ways to do it. Those vacu-stack type caps aren't really meant to improve draft, as far as I know, but are instead meant to prevent downdrafts in gusty areas. A third option for improving draft is the addition of an Exhausto or similar type of chimney top exhaust booster fan.

Check out their website at:

http://www.exhausto.com/composite-1564.htm

Is it really 11 feet? QF, and others I've looked at, require a min of 14', (if I recall correctly). However, they measure from the very bottom of the stove. Thus, my 12' of actual pipe is 14' of chimney, per the manufacturer. I've burned it enough to know it works, but if you are the type to get quickly and easily irritated with some occasional smoke spillage, you may wish to add a little bit. Otherwise, I'd say to try it as is for one winter. If it's just too short, you can always add the new section in May.

Edit: Sorry, I see I didn't answer your actual question. (Nor can I...I've no experience with those devices.) Just offered a bunch of free advice on a tangential subject. Oh well; might be some use to other readers.

I just installed the liner today, about 12' with two layers of 1/4 insulation (didn't have 1/2). I lit a match and slowly lowered it the the flue opening and the flame went sideways to about an inch or so away from the opening. Does that sound good????

Light the match near the bottom opening at the stove and see if it sucks the flame up.
Keep in mind, colder weather, and a hot liner will give a better draft then a cold liner.

Are you saying to crack the door and check the draft from the lowest point of the door. OK, When i get the stove in i'll try it. Should be this week sometime.

I have an 8" Vacu-Stack cap i think i will adapt to the 6" top plate. When i used the fireplace on windy days it would sometimes puff back. So i hope this helps.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.