In the Midwest Deep-Freeze again

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
0* here with wind chill to -7* 1-3" more expected on top of the 8" we just got. Cold all next week with temps at 0* with wind chill to -30 at times

Stove is eating wood like my rockets eat APCP!!!!

Isn't it supposed to be temperate in Kentucky?????

Thats not temperate, thats ARCTIC

I saw the thermometer get above 10 today but it was short lived and now it's snowing again. This is getting old.

Wifey and I got out of the house today after a week with some sort of sinus infection or cold. It felt like we were a couple of jailbreakers. LOL
Ron

Wifey and I got out of the house today after a week with some sort of sinus infection or cold. It felt like we were a couple of jailbreakers. LOL
Ron

We (Amy and I) went through that just after Christmas. I had a week that I lost somewhere....

We've been having a heat wave with low temps the last two nights in the negative single digits (barely) even though it was only 5F when I got home Monday afternoon. We missed on the snow yesterday and today's high is supposed to be in the 20's - probably means teens at my place. Snow tonight though, and the arctic blast coming back in.

Last edited:
Same down here in PA, BogieB. 5 inches of snow two nights ago, down to -5 tomorrow night, then 40's on Sun with rain before heading right back to the teens. Just a wild winter...

-16 here this morning. Going to be a lot of corn going into the fires today. Severe wind chill alert till noon tomorrow.

Little more snow today and then the coldest day in 21 years tomorrow.

I'm gonna start calling Minnesota the 'Tundra State'.....lol

I bet there are a lot of issue up your way with new trucks and DEF. We are having issues daily. Most simple but any issue with DEF injection causes grief.

I don't like looking at the thermometer anymore. It never shows anything promising....

Been revised to -19 tonight. Getting worse.

I'm gonna start calling Minnesota the 'Tundra State'.....lol

I bet there are a lot of issue up your way with new trucks and DEF. We are having issues daily. Most simple but any issue with DEF injection causes grief.
Of course,There are issues with DEF everywhere !

You have to wonder when it will moderate a bit. It's real cold here and supposed to stay cold through next week with wind chills way below zero and ambients only in the teens.

I'm sucking down pellets (and corn) big time again with no end in sight.

Was hoping for a carrover to next year of a ton but if it stays like this, that won't be happening.
We are having trouble right now getting pellets in northern Maine. Nobody has any and pellet shipments are way behind. First time ever that pre-buying was necessary. Most places and the one mill we have are limiting to 5 bags when they actually have them! We only heat with pellets and well the building is less than insulated or tight! Anyway I have decided to order one of those Wood Furnaces (50-TRW3 - Timber Ridge)... will be a nice backup and lots of wood is available. Will be putting this in the garage and ducting it to the house, then I can heat the garage or the house - or even both!

Ironic though the local oil company now sells bulk pellets and has no shortage... yep oil company. Rep there told me they have 250 tons in storage with more arriving daily... guess who has the pellets???? So I am building a bin that will house up to 4 tons and they can come blow it in ... no more tons to handle... Got to have options when you rely on wood for heat.

Pallet company right down the road always has pallets for free --- free firewood for the furnace....! :)

No let up in sight on the deep freeze........ Well into the below 0 temperatures through the weekend and below freezing all next week.............

About the same for us here, hoping that this is the last deep freeze of this winter. Sure would be nice to go racing in April this year, rather than shoveling more snow.

About the same for us here, hoping that this is the last deep freeze of this winter. Sure would be nice to go racing in April this year, rather than shoveling more snow.
Our race track doesnt even open until June! Till then there can still be snow on the track!

It's not getting better, it's getting worse, -19 ambient tonight.

Woke up to minus -18. The worse is supposed to be over for here, just moving it all down and east.
29 days to spring

Actually going above freezing for a few days - 12-15 inches coming in for today... then Saturday back down below 0.

Opposite here, was above freezing yesterday, going down to 0 tonight they say and Sunday mid upper 30's with rain. i've got some snow to get off one fairly small rood but with not much pitch. That can be a Sat deal.

Plenty cold enough at my house this morning, -6ºF when I left for work. Though the wind died down from the original forecast. Got both stoves cranking. The wall about 10' beside my pellet stove reads 52º with the IR. The space heater which I also ran on high all night in the bedroom I think came up to 56º when I got up. The ex is going to reload the stove for me this afternoon so hopefully it will atleast be in the 50's when I get home lol.

You Sir, Need to just be done. Yes, It is colder than an ice truck here. Ex's are Ex's for a reason. Tell her to pack her chit and move. Easier..... Overall. Dr. Phil told me so. Ya, whatever. Look, Ohio..... Brother wood burner. Where in the hell was that_____ when she needed to step up to the pump when it was (frigid) ( cold in the house?) Food for thought. Cut ties and send her ass packing as hard as it might be. Tons of chicken in the SEA. Where was your team player then? Bitchionching, You have to let them swim. Quit putting "swimmies:" on. You are WELCOME. COLD house................ Yes, I am a ruthless prick!

Reactions: OhioBurner©
Woke up to minus -18. The worse is supposed to be over for here, just moving it all down and east.
29 days to spring

Thanks, it's dropping by tonight. -19 and it's -9 right now. Must be picking up extra cold on the way down....._g We get your leftovers a day later....... I may get a Subaru yet.

You Sir, Need to just be done. Yes, It is colder than an ice truck here. Ex's are Ex's for a reason. Tell her to pack her chit and move. Easier..... Overall. Dr. Phil told me so. Ya, whatever. Look, Ohio..... Brother wood burner. Where in the hell was that_____ when she needed to step up to the pump when it was (frigid) ( cold in the house?) Food for thought. Cut ties and send her ass packing as hard as it might be. Tons of chicken in the SEA. Where was your team player then? Bitchionching, You have to let them swim. Quit putting "swimmies:" on. You are WELCOME. COLD house................ Yes, I am a ruthless prick!

LOL well I agree mostly. But we aren't bitter or anything. And there is a level of cold in which I would prefer not to endure, even if it means calling upon the ex! Hopefully by next winter i'll have improved the insulation and air sealing, and perhaps swapped out my other woodstove for a bigger one. But for now if I don't have any help on the bitter cold days its rough. Luckily this week I have off, so I can run the stove harder and feed it 3 or 4 times a day versus 2.

Just loaded up the stove with 2 medium splits of ash and 8 Eco-Bricks, got her cruising around 700F, got the pellet stove on 8 though its going into sootey burn, but I don't want to shut her down and clean it until daytime tomorrow. Supposed to be as low as -10 tonight and -20 with wind chill.

Found out one big thing was how bad my front door was leaking. Mostly under the bottom. But I've never messed with door seals and would probably have to take it off hinges and look at the bottom to figure out what I need. Not something I can do in these temperatures. I've had a towel pressed up against the bottom but still was leaking cold air. So in the meantime I duct taped the entire door shut! That did the trick. Picked up a few degrees in the room! And also I didn't realize how much cold air was coming up through the unused furnace registers. I put cardboard or whatever I had laying around over them and weighted down with various things. Whatever it takes to get through this arctic blast.

I had to run my stove on medium while I went to work so I wouldn't burn through the entire hopper of pellets before I got home. When I got home it was 42* in my house.....lol. Kicked both stove on before I left today.....much better. C'mon spring....!!!!

-9 ambient -- -23 to -41 wind chill depending on the minute last ---- 75 in the big room -- 67 far away from the big room. added a tstat and a switch a few weeks ago to the far room so that room can control the propane furnace when I want. I wanted last night and set it at 67. Timer said it ran 43 minutes overnight.

We are happy being warm ..... Just wish the sun was providing the heat.

Can't wait for that day when we turn the AC on.

Reactions: Wilbur Feral
Status
Not open for further replies.