increaser question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bostock

Hearth Supporter
Oct 27, 2010
Sharpsburg Maryland
stove is 6" (rear vented jotulF3, with t-snout. damper in the snout). I recently moved from an old farm house where i had installed 6" liner, approx 32'. I am now moving to a different old farmhouse, very similar also with approx 32' of existing liner but it is 8" so i will be buying an increaser - will i experience a difference in draft? At my last place, i discovered real quickly that the damper was needed (always full closed except on startup). What changes might i see now, with 8" liner instead of 6"?

In theory, your draft should be weaker. How tall is the chimney/liner?

Ah, yes that makes sense to me, as an extreme example would be a stove with NO pipe has no draft at all - just smoke following a current. The liner is 30' or so, maybe 35' at absolute max. In my last farm, i had 6" all the way up and that draft was TOO good i had to keep damper on closed all the time. If my draft will be weaker now in this house due to 8" pipe, i think i'm glad to hear it.., i may actually get to "use" the damper now instead of just using it as a permanent speed bump :)

Ah, yes that makes sense to me, as an extreme example would be a stove with NO pipe has no draft at all - just smoke following a current. The liner is 30' or so, maybe 35' at absolute max. In my last farm, i had 6" all the way up and that draft was TOO good i had to keep damper on closed all the time. If my draft will be weaker now in this house due to 8" pipe, i think i'm glad to hear it.., i may actually get to "use" the damper now instead of just using it as a permanent speed bump :)

A 30-35' is pretty damn tall. You might be fine. Give it a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.