Inferno pellet fines: Addendum (w/ pic)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

imacman

Oh, I almost forgot to post this. I was going to put it at the end of the other thread about Infernos that Salty started, but thought it would get "lost" at the bottom.

I took a picture of the fines that were left in the bag after I ran the pellets through my vacuum pellet cleaner. Now mind you, this may not seem a lot for 1 bag, but I estimate that at least 2-3x as much ended up in the shop vac. I put the pen there for size reference. The pile you see is about 1/2" deep.

This is a scary amount of fines :ahhh:

Attachments

• inferno fines.jpg
    inferno fines.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 785
Macman,

Agree! Way too many fines.

With your new stove do you plan to screen all of your pellets or did you do a bag to show the amount of fines?

Ranger

old ranger,

no, I cleaned these to run through the stove, and those fines were out of the second and (thank god), last bag. It's a multi-fuel, so it will burn pretty much any pellet, but these were terrible. The glass was completely covered to the point that I couldn't see much through it in about 3 hrs, and the heat wasn't good. The Premiers I ran through the stove first are world class compared to these.

I would only buy these if they were the last pellet made....and even then I'd have to think about it. :eek:hh:

EDIT: Plus, they have a funny chemical smell to them. :p

I have had fines before more of the sawdust type,never the big chunks like you have there thats ridiculous.

Axis said:
did u weigh them?

No, don't have any scale that goes down that low (like a postage scale?)

Plus, what good would it do? I have no idea exactly how much ended-up in the shop vac.....I just took an educated guess, but regardless, based on what was left in the bottom of the bag, it's way too much, IMO.

Never seen fines l ike that either...what i see is more like fine, fine dust...that looks like sawdust from a table saw.

That chunky pile is from ONE bag?!? WOW
Looks to me like poor quality pellets, not poor handling of a bag.

Are the pellets consistant in size? How they burning?
Burning really dirty and feeding fast I bet. ;-)

tinkabranc said:
That chunky pile is from ONE bag?!? WOW
Looks to me like poor quality pellets, not poor handling of a bag.

Are the pellets consistant in size? How they burning?
Burning really dirty and feeding fast I bet. ;-)

Yep, Tink, that's what was left in the bag after dumping the rest through my vacuum pellet cleaner, so this was NOT all the fines.

Size wise, they were all about 1/2 - 1" long.....didn't see anything longer, and yes, burned dirty and fast. :grrr:

investor7952 said:
Hey Mac just picked up 4 bags of inferno from lowes.Never saw that brand.Did they at least burn ok before I open a bag?

Hey investor, not great heat, glass got dirty fast, LOTS of fines, as you saw above. but you do what you want. If it were me, I'd take them back.

Yes, they burned, but remember I have a multi-fuel stove that will burn just about anything. What else did they have, if anything? The Lowes by me had Clean Energy, which got good reviews on here.

I think the other brand was tidy timbers .I burned them last year 5 bags not bad for early fall and spring. I used 2 bags of my cleanfire the other day and they were great. I got to be honest though the few bags of stove show I used were even better. I mean you had to look very hard to find fines and residue in these bags.They are a bit dusty but overall very clean. I was so impressed I bought another ton and used my 10% coupon.$249 - 10%

[Hey investor, not great heat, glass got dirty fast, LOTS of fines, as you saw above. but you do what you want. If it were me, I'd take them back.

Well I had to open a bag for myself being the stuborn Italian that I am. OK OK I should have taken all back !! I just returned the remainder.
WOW LOADS of little peices ! Just a crappy looking pellet overall. I think the nicer the bag the crapier the pellets lol.
Macman you were very accurate in your description. I gave the open bag to the kids they are having a bonfire tonight I told them to use that bag for kindling.

If ya told me they were wood chips and not fines from
a bag of pellets I'd believe ya. Never seen that before.

Was told today that they have hired a PELLET GURU to make these the best pellets since the invention of the paper bag... Going to the factory on Tuesday to pickup some test bags...more tuesday nite... I'm not holding my breath yet. I bitched at them today about the 5 tons handloaded in my basement...and the upcoming move of 10 tons in and out. Says they will comp the delivery. If these things don't burn any better Tuesday when I get home they'll be comping me 6 tons of pellets tooooooo

I did find one good use for these pellets(well the aftermath anyway).

Seems there ashes eat moss.( I dumped the ashes on some moss I had growing on my concrete steps.) It killed it and its was no longer slippery. Problem is you still have to burn the flipping things. Probably ain't worth it. :-S

jay

Status
Not open for further replies.