Insert in North GA - Regency I1200

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoJoe

Jan 20, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Here's our Regency i1200 inserted into a pre fab fireplace. We've burned wood for 8 years and now finally got this small unit installed. It's the largest we could fit without some serious masonary work. It's not our primary source of heat but I'm thinking we can cut down on the local gas bill. With the tax credit and a deal on a free blower, it was about $2k. Not bad and so much more heat from our fireplace.

So far it's been a little powerhouse. I'm not dealing with many nights in the teens like most of you guys in the north, but we just had a week of solid ice and snow, and even though the power stayed on this time, it's a great backup for any of those monster ice storms we get down here. We've got a wooded lot and some logs that have been sitting for a few years. Good reason to fire up the Stihl too.

It eats small wood up quicky and even a full box will only last a few hours without more sticks. The blower has an auto or manual setting and a couple of speeds. Low is barely heard, high is a loud but not unbearable. Damper is sensitive and the manual suggests turning off the blower for 20 min after a refill.

What's really great is my gas heat isn't kicking on when the i1200 is going strong. I can just run the fan on the AC/Heat unit and it circulates to the main floor and the basement. We also recently added foam under our attic deck (tax credit too) and between the foam and the firebox I think we're going to cut down on some serious therms.

Check out the pics...

Original setup

oldfireplaceinsert.jpg

Installed....

regencyi1200.jpg

Burning....

regencyi1200onfirejpg.jpg

You've got a great forum going here!

Great job on the install and the surround. Glad you like it so far. Regency makes a good product.

Got a chance to it the fire with an IR thermometer. This is a hot spot and the device tops out at 630 degrees anyway. Several other shots resulted in "Hi" so I'm guessing I'm pushing 700 or more. Most areas in the fire were in the 300 and 400 ranges. Air coming from the blower was in the 300 range. Wood could be dried for at least another season, but for now this is working great.

Still wish I could get more than a few hours of burn time, especially overnight. I'm guessing two-year (or more) seasoned wood and the damper closed down could really help.

firetemp.jpg

Congratulations, that finished out very nicely. Point the IR unit at the metal, not the fire or the glass. Measure at the exposed metal right above the door corners.

GeoJoe,

Great job. I like the curves. I like that the face doesn’t stick out.

Robert

Looks good...kind of reminds me of a pizza oven.

BeGreen said:
.... Point the IR unit at the metal, not the fire or the glass. Measure at the exposed metal right above the door corners.

thanks for the comments and the tip... check out the laser dot just below the blower output area... this is great stuff... don't know why I waited so long. And if only I could cook pizzas in it.

hotfire.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.