Insert is smoky all of a sudden.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigtall

Oct 30, 2009
West Georgia
The last couple of days there has been a good amount of smoke seeping from my BB2 insert into my family room and throughout the house. I have not had a chance yet to dig into it, but I quickly realized that it is only happening with the blower on, so I am still burning, just without the blower forcing the warm air into the rest of my house. But as soon as I turn the blower on, I have a grey haze building inside. Any ideas on what is causing this. The seals around the door are good. Could it be that a crack has formed somewhere and is allowing the smoke to escape? Maybe the cold air is creating problems in my chimney? This weekend I will be removing the face plates and trying to figure it out.

Any ideas anybody?

Either your chimney is clogging up or you have negative presure in your house from another appliance. That is my best guess from the other side of the internet ;-P

I had a similar problem and it was quickly fixed with a trip up on the roof and cleaning out the screen on the rain cap. I'd check up there first.

My boiler started smoking on the first day of operation. I had a clean chimney, no pressure problems.... It was just the pipe from the boiler to the chimney, when the fan was on high speed.
Used my left-over hi-temp silicone on every joint. Problem solved.

project240 said:
I had a similar problem and it was quickly fixed with a trip up on the roof and cleaning out the screen on the rain cap. I'd check up there first.

+1 An installer I know said they remove the screens as soon as the inspector signs it off because they always clog, more quickly when your wood isn't good and dry.
I'm not sure how the blower interacts but I would check there first.

Status
Not open for further replies.