1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Install Complete - VistaFlame VF-55

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Curve, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Curve

Curve New Member

Loc:
    Central, MA
    I love this stove!!! I finished my install yesterday evening, and fired it up this afternoon. Looks and runs great. I have not adjusted any of the factory settings and am getting a great looking flame on heat setting 2. It is throwing alot of heat, and quickly warmed up the downstairs which is approximately 1,000 sq ft. I plan to raise the heat setting to 3 overnight, and am confident it will warm up the 900 sq ft upstairs. I am using cheap Home Depot pellets for now, I bought 12 bags to get started. Now I need to do some research to figure out what are better pellets to use.

Thanks to Nailer for some great information this morning.

See picture below...
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

smoke show likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. EZsteve

EZsteve Member

Loc:
    Central Va
    Looks great! Safety man is going to tell you to put a surge protector on it though.
    smoke show and The Ds like this.
  3. kykel

kykel Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    long Island
    Looks great. That stove will burn anything and spit out the ash. Enjoy the heat
  4. tsmith

tsmith Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kutztown, PA
    Looks nice, what pellets are you looking into?
  5. Curve

Curve New Member

Loc:
    Central, MA
    I'm not sure what to look for, right now I am burning 12 bags of the cheap Home Depot pellets called Fireside Ultra. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I am a novice at this, I wouldn't know how to tell that these Fireside Ultra pellets are good or bad.
  6. Chain

Chain Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Lewis County, New York (upstate)
  7. briansol

briansol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    central ct
    Where are you from? pellets tend to be a bit localized. What we have here in new england is sometimes different than the ohio folks and the north west folks get.
  8. tsmith

tsmith Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kutztown, PA
    There are a lot of good pellets out there, what's available in your area?
  9. Curve

Curve New Member

Loc:
    Central, MA
    I live in Central Massachusetts. If you have any brands that you recommend, I will check around here who has them.
  10. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Good can be determained in a couple a ways. Heat and how clean they burn. Heat warms the home faster and lower ash content lets you run longer between cleanings. FSU are pretty much right dab in the middle of the pack. Good heat and decent ash.

Your M55 clone isn't pellet picky so you can be, Look for an affordable pellet that has good heat and is somewhat clean. If the FSU produce enough heat and are affordable. You should be fine with them.

If it gets really cold and the stove struggles to warm the house. Try to find Some Hamer Hot Ones(or other brands- to lazy to type em all) that produce silly amounts of heat. There is a long list of hot brands out there. I depends on your area. Do a little pellet hunting and post what you can find. The pigs here will help you pick the hot stuff. Go get a couple a bags to try and you will see why the gag gets all giddy about them.

Also it doesn't hurt to do some sampling(we call it pellet hunting) of the easily obtained brands. Gives you a feel for whats out there! This way if you can't find what your burning now, You at least know whats up with some of the local stuff. Not as much guessing when you need to fill the stash again. Again the VF-55 isn't going to be as picky. It should eat what ever you bring home.

Nice looking stove, Enjoy the new toy and the fun you can have pellet hunting! Hopefully you can dodge the swine flu thing that comes with owning a pellet eater and hangin with these nut jobs(me included)! ==c