Install Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Linesider

Hearth Supporter
Jun 3, 2008
Southern CT
I have an old masonary brick chimney from an old oil boiler that was removed from my basement years ago when we switched over to natural gas direct vent. The chimney was no longer being used and I took it down to the roof line as it was getting an unsafe bend in it.

I am considering installing a wood stove in the basement. My local pipe dealer suggested running single wall pipe through the chimney, transitioning to class A at the roof line using an adjustable roof support.

Can a wood stove be piped through a chimney previously used for oil burning? I plan on giving the masonary a good brushing and there will be single wall pipe inside it.

Looking for thoughts, opinions and concerns on the install.

Thanks, John

I have an old masonary brick chimney from an old oil boiler that was removed from my basement years ago when we switched over to natural gas direct vent. The chimney was no longer being used and I took it down to the roof line as it was getting an unsafe bend in it.

I am considering installing a wood stove in the basement. My local pipe dealer suggested running single wall pipe through the chimney, transitioning to class A at the roof line using an adjustable roof support.

Can a wood stove be piped through a chimney previously used for oil burning? I plan on giving the masonary a good brushing and there will be single wall pipe inside it.

Looking for thoughts, opinions and concerns on the install.

Thanks, John
Single wall stove pipe can not be used. The chimney would need to be lined with an insulated stainless steel liner and then transitioned to a class-a chimney. The liner and class-a should be matched or approved for such an install and all the manufacturer's instructions/requirements would need to be followed.

What there telling me is that liner can't transition to class A.

Maybe it's just that this company doesn't have the part or knowledge?

Why couldn't the single wall be used? Clearances or other reason?
Single wall or rigid stainless liner can be used. Sorry for not clarifying that.

I believe Olympia makes a transition piece that can be used in combination with their liner and their Ventis line of class-a. You'll likely have to go through a chimney sweep or stove dealer to get it though.

Why couldn't the single wall be used? Clearances or other reason?
Like homeinpa said single wall can be used as long as it is a stainless liner. It can be flexible or rigid. It will probably need to be insulated which could be preinsulated or insulated in the feild. And most companies make a transition plate to go from a liner to class a chimney

Thanks for the speedy replies. I spoke with a different employee based on the info here and got a different answer. I ended up going with a stainless flexable liner, attached to the class A by use of a roof mount. The class A was installed down into the masonary 2'.

Can anyone fill me in on the purpose of insulating the stainless steel flex liner inside the masonary chimney? Also during my install, I had a two flues to choose from while on the roof. One side looked never used, the other was from the old wood boiler that I removed. I chose the flue that was never used, feeling it was the safer install. Come to find out after opening that side of the chimney in the basement, the flue stopped about 10' above the basement floor, leaving the stainless steel liner surrounded by only the clay masonary brick chimney. Is this a problem? The liner is still completely encapsulated by the brick.

I should mention the chimney runs through the interior of the house, that maybe why I wasn't sold the insulation for the liner?

Can anyone fill me in on the purpose of insulating the stainless steel flex liner inside the masonary chimney? Also during my install, I had a two flues to choose from while on the roof. One side looked never used, the other was from the old wood boiler that I removed. I chose the flue that was never used, feeling it was the safer install. Come to find out after opening that side of the chimney in the basement, the flue stopped about 10' above the basement floor, leaving the stainless steel liner surrounded by only the clay masonary brick chimney. Is this a problem? The liner is still completely encapsulated by the brick.
The insulation on the liner is to protect combustibles that are either in contact or to close to the outside of the masonry structure. In your case because it is an internal chimney you need 2" of clearance from the outside of the chimney to any combustible material. That pretty much is never there so you need insulation.

The purpose of the insulation on the liner is to make it so that is is zeroclearance. Otherwise the liner will radiate a lot of heat and where it contacts the brick it will conduct the heat to and through the brick. If the chimney is in contact with any combustible, that combustible will get hot. The concern then is pyrolysis which can cause the combustibles to ignite over time. This is the reason an insulated liner is required unless the interior chimney structure has 2" clearances from combustibles. For an exterior chimney that is 1".
Come to find out after opening that side of the chimney in the basement, the flue stopped about 10' above the basement floor, leaving the stainless steel liner surrounded by only the clay masonary brick chimney. Is this a problem?
Yes it is for an uninsulated liner. This is considered an unlined chimney at that point.