Install question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

begin2see

Jun 28, 2020
New Jersey
Hi -

I'm thinking of installing a wood stove for the first time and have a question.

The stove is for my workshop. It's a small space so I only need a small stove, so I would like something like the Century S244 or equivalent.

I should be ok, space wise, but the roof that I have to go through is pretty steep (20:12) (I've attached a diagram. If I go straight up, there's way too much framing. In the attached picture, the framing marked with purple will be removed and a 10" LVL beam will be put in.

Any good advice on putting in the chimney?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20200628_152904.jpg
    IMG_20200628_152904.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_20200628_153319.jpg
    IMG_20200628_153319.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 96
  • woodstove.jpg
    woodstove.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 100
Chimney support might be the worst problem with that scenario. Is there no way to exit through the flatter pitch higher up the roof? Or the sidewall?

A last resort option is to lay up a masonry chase and line it with a ss liner. The square masonry would make it possible to flash it in to the steep pitch. I'm sure the more knowledgeable members will have a better solution tho.

It would be really difficult to exit the roof higher up. I'm thinking that I might be able to move the stove further back or use offset elbows to have the chimney run straight through the roof.