Install using single wall pipe with heat shield

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stek

Sep 17, 2010
Western WA
We are considering installing our new stove using single-wall pipe with a heat shield. Clearance for the heat shield is listed as reducing the clearance to 6"; I'm assuming that's from the surface of the heat shield not the pipe .. right?

Any concerns about single wall and heat shield?

They can look goofy if you don't get the shield perfectly and symetrically attached to the single wall. Single wall pipe is mild steel and not as durable as true double wall pipe which has a 6" clearance requirement and is stainless steel inside and mild steel outside. Other than costing more, the double wall is superior.

Right, I believe the clearance to noncombustible wall for single wall pipe is 18", so you would need either a heat shield for the pipe or use double wall pipe to get that 6" clearance.

We had this setup for years when the 602 was in the house. It was very effective as a shield. Pipe was 20 yrs old when we pulled it down, still in good condition.

I thought unshielded single-wall was 18" min, and shielded was 9" min (measured from pipe, not shield). The shield I've got is 9" min. My guess is you're looking at the clearances for the stove itself, not just the pipe? For example, my 1100C has 2" clearances in a corner install w/ shielded pipe, but the pipe clearance itself is something like 13". If you don't use a shield or double-wall pipe the clearance increases so the pipe is at 18".

I went with single-wall to get the most heat out, to save some $$, and because I couldn't figure out which adapters I needed to go from stove to double-wall pipe and pipe to ceiling adapter.

Your stove's manual (usually online, if you don't have yours) should show a diagram with clearances clearly shown, both for single and double wall and with/without heat shield.

The stove doesn't list clearance for single wall pipe with heat shield, I was getting the 6" from the seller of the heat shield. The stove lists a 4" clearance with a stove-mounted rear heat shield which is what we're using so we're in good shape there. This is the heat shield seller's site:

http://woodheatstoves.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=71_72_284&products_id=9387

Another seller says 'reduces clearance by 50% (but again doesn't say whether that's to the pipe or heat shield.

I'm still torn between the single and double. the bigger issue is that we need to do a slight angled section and don't want to be forced to do 45's like we would with double wall...

I would be suspicious of the 6" clearance, I've never seen it less than 9" anywhere else. But always measured from the single-wall pipe, not the shield.

If you go single-wall, get the heavier (22 gauge) stuff.

Thanks, I think 9" from the pipe makes sense and I'd rather leave a little extra room and be able to sleep at night anyway =)

Status
Not open for further replies.