Installation and stove choices

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs. Krabappel

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 31, 2010
Blue Ridge Mountains NC
The ability of installers to make a stove work for me seems directly related to the stove they most want to sell me.

I'm leaning heavily towards a free standing stove in my old masonry fireplace and I've been told a few different things:

*A stove could be put in minus legs or pedestal and/or
*A stove could be put in by removing bricks as needed.

*I need a cast iron because of the pipe placement.

*A pipe could be put in that would create 2 angles.

*I might as well get an insert because a free-standing should still be plated in.

Nobody has actually looked at my place yet, but I'm inclined to think I would still get the same responses. Does any of this sound reasonable? Unreasonable? Can the stove be backed right up into my old hearth or does there need to be some clearance there?

Pics and specs again

Depth 20.5”
Depth + hearth 48”
Width 37”
Height in front 33”
Height in the back-it begins curving forward at 22”

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 368
  • DSC06766.jpg
    DSC06766.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 366
~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
The ability of installers to make a stove work for me seems directly related to the stove they most want to sell me.

I'm leaning heavily towards a free standing stove in my old masonry fireplace and I've been told a few different things:

*A stove could be put in minus legs or pedestal and/or
*A stove could be put in by removing bricks as needed.

*I need a cast iron because of the pipe placement.

*A pipe could be put in that would create 2 angles.

*I might as well get an insert because a free-standing should still be plated in.

Nobody has actually looked at my place yet, but I'm inclined to think I would still get the same responses. Does any of this sound reasonable? Unreasonable? Can the stove be backed right up into my old hearth or does there need to be some clearance there?

You're doing fine. Keep the details straight and the salespeople separate from folks with real knowledge and good ideas. This is true for local dealers and internet opinions. Walk away from plain silly suggestions like a double-elbow connector.

Looks like you have a good sized opening to fit the stove in. Just keep in mind that you will need a minimum of 16 inches of hearth in front of the door opening. Most stove manuals have diagrams for minimum clearances with single or double wall connectors.
Some stoves come standard with rear heat shields that dramatically reduce the minimum clearances, and can also be added to some stoves for the cost of the part.
if you want to avoid having to extend your hearth you should definitely look at the minimum clearance requirements for each of your prospective stoves.

Hope this helps!

One other measurement that would be helpful is to have the depth of the lintel. This is the top support of the fireplace opening. What is the measurement from the front of the fireplace to where the throat of the chimney starts? That will determine how far a top exit stove will sit in the fireplace if that is the final choice.

Just to let you know. An insert does not need the sides put on. It is low enough to the ground for clearance issues and can look just as nice without the sides. Some say the stove heats better also. Just make sure there is a block off plate installed in the damper.

Here is a post on the subject. I almost did this.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/50201/

Here is a picture of my install https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/50922/

Just to give you sizes

front height 30"
front width 35"
depth 19"
depth from back + hearth 34"

BeGreen's recommendation about the lintel is important.

Hope that helps a little,

Anthony

BeGreen said:
One other measurement that would be helpful is to have the depth of the lintel.
If I am making the correct measurement, this is 4"

Anthony, thanks for the link to that thread.

That is nice and shallow. It will broaden the options for a top vent stove and will place more of it out on the hearth. All good. Some top vent stoves have the flue collar a bit more forward than others.

Here's a peek at what it could look like with a nice T5 on the hearth.

Attachments

• Kath_FP.jpg
    Kath_FP.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 270
Oh that's dreamy. Can I say that on this forum? :red: It feels warmer already.

That's sweet, K !!!

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
Oh that's dreamy. Can I say that on this forum? :red: It feels warmer already.

No problem. Dreaming is what a lot of folks do here.

thats just the set up i was thinking for this, that fireplace is to nice to block any of the stone work.

Call it dreamy. Call it whatever you want. A hearth stove installation is what that beautiful (dreamy) old stone chimney and hearth just cry out for. Your choices are many. You will want a full Stainless Steel liner from the stove up the flue to daylight. You will want a block-off plate around the liner in the chimney about where the damper/smoke shelf is, to limit the loss of heat up the flue around the liner. Any number of stoves are available that would work for you. Pretty much comes down to what you prefer and what you feel you can afford. Rick

BeGreen said:
That is nice and shallow. It will broaden the options for a top vent stove and will place more of it out on the hearth. All good. Some top vent stoves have the flue collar a bit more forward than others.

Here's a peek at what it could look like with a nice T5 on the hearth.

That's beautiful, Kathleen! Go for it!!

Nice work, BeGreen!!

Status
Not open for further replies.