Installation cost on a freestanding wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tucker6

May 7, 2008
Eastern PA
I took your advice, and sought out some local chimney sweeps to quote the installation of the Jotul Oslo I want to install in my open hearth, which has not been used for many years. The first bid came in, and consists of the following:

Stove: 2,370
Install: 2,100

The install consists of:

1. delivery of the stove
2. Setting in place in a stone hearth
3. Removal of current trap door (2.5 x 4 feet) at base of flue
4. Cleaning of flue (not done for many a year I would imagine)
5. Supply and installation of a single wall insulated flue pipe (16 feet)
6. Supply and install of a new stainless steel chimney cap (18" x 30")

No masonry required nor quoted. The flue pipe is a straight shot up the chimney. No safety pad required for the stove, as it will sit deep enough within the hearth.

Is this a reasonable price? What would the expectation be for the install as described?

Thanks for the help.

Tom

Everybody has opinions and all installations are different but there is around $600 in that installation cost that I just can't see from here.

I did not see any mention of a block off plate?

BrotherBart said:
Everybody has opinions and all installations are different but there is around $600 in that installation cost that I just can't see from here.
I had the same reaction. After reading up on installation cost here, I was expecting something between $1,300-1,500. He came recommended, and was considered "reasonably" priced by the guy I know. I got the sense that he felt this might be a good score for him. Hard to describe, but you know when you get that feeling.

Thanks for the reply.

Tom

This is not a fireplace install - by the description it sounds like the lining of an existing chimney.
So you don't need a block off plate. Folks are not reading right.....

Personally, I think the price is in line. The price of everything has gone way up (insulation, stainless, labor, insurance, etc.) and this job will take two men and a truck a full day.

The custom chimney cap called for is often $300+ just by itself. That leaves the rest of the job at $1800, which is certainly not high.

Not to say you could not save a couple hundred, but additional bids might also be higher. This one seems in the "reasonable" middle. Pay no attention to all the old men cheapies here (yours truly included).....

10 years ago our store - which was considered very reasonable, would have charged about $1600 for this job....so given a decade an inflation I think you are doing OK.

Hmmm... maybe I'm not reading it right, but that sounds like its gonna leave a big gap around the newly installed pipe.

Jags said:

Hmmm... maybe I'm not reading it right, but that sounds like its gonna leave a big gap around the newly installed pipe.
Okay, I gotcha now. The installer said that he recommends no back plate. He prefers to leave the chimney open at the bottom to allow for more heating within the flue and better drafting. It makes sense to me. He will seal with the new cap.

This hearth is huge, so any internal heating to get the entire thing warm may be important. A dozen grown men can stand inside this hearth easily. I kid you not. It was built in 1750 and measures nine feet wide five feet deep and over six feet tall inside the hearth. Except for the opening, it is surrounded by two foot thick walls of stone all the way up the flue. That's a lot of mass I'm concerned about heating to get a good draft. Or doesn't anyone think that's a big deal??

Tom

We just HAVE to see a picture of that fireplace!

BB - Old man (check)
Cheapie (double check)

Is this chimney on an inside wall, or is it exposed on the backside to the weather? Just trying to get a picture in my head of what you are dealing with.

Edit: YES, YES Pictures PLEASE!

Seems a little high to me, but don't know all the details like removal of that big trap door. I would try to get a couple more bids.

BrotherBart said:
We just HAVE to see a picture of that fireplace!

BB - Old man (check)
Cheapie (double check)
I am photographically challenged, but I will see what I can do over the weekend. It is why we bought the house 10 years ago. It is one of those fireplaces you see where you imagine someone cooking over a big cauldren hanging off the crane. It is actually too big to use without a stove inserted into it. Otherwise, it would suck the heat out of the house in the winter.

Jags said:
Is this chimney on an inside wall, or is it exposed on the backside to the weather? Just trying to get a picture in my head of what you are dealing with.

Edit: YES, YES Pictures PLEASE!
The chimney IS the back wall for the summer kitchen where it is located, so it is exposed on the backside. It covers the entire wall practically, except for an area of shelving.

5. Supply and installation of a single wall insulated flue pipe (16 feet)

Just taking a guess, but single wall, insulated flue pipe will probably not have a heck-of-alot of affect on heating that much stone structure that is exposed to the outside. I'm not sure what I would do for the chimney part as far as block off or not. If you trust your installer, I would do as he suggests. Of course a block off plate could be added later if it was deemed necessary.

I gotta see pics of this thing.

Webmaster said:
This is not a fireplace install - by the description it sounds like the lining of an existing chimney.
So you don't need a block off plate. Folks are not reading right.....

Personally, I think the price is in line. The price of everything has gone way up (insulation, stainless, labor, insurance, etc.) and this job will take two men and a truck a full day.

The custom chimney cap called for is often $300+ just by itself. That leaves the rest of the job at $1800, which is certainly not high.

Not to say you could not save a couple hundred, but additional bids might also be higher. This one seems in the "reasonable" middle. Pay no attention to all the old men cheapies here (yours truly included).....

10 years ago our store - which was considered very reasonable, would have charged about $1600 for this job....so given a decade an inflation I think you are doing OK.
Craig,

Nice site, btw. I already feel more well informed than the average Joe.

You have it right. It is essentially opening up a flue, inserting a pipe, and calling it a day.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.