Installation Methods

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CodyWayne718

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Dec 11, 2009
Kentucky
I'm stuck between the Vogelzang Colonial and the Englander/Summer Heat inserts, Colonial seems like a better "bang for the buck" from what I'm gathering but it's a spur of the moment thing and I want to make the right choice. Anyway, the Englander/Summer Heat insert says "must install using the direct connect method", I'm just wondering since it says that if anyone who has this insert has it installed with a full liner, if so, does it affect the way the stove performs??? From what i have read over my 9 hours of non stop reading about stoves and chimneys I'd rather have the flue ran all the way out, that and the price tags are gonna be what makes my decision i do believe.....sorry if this is any kind of repost, I cant seem to find much on these two units...

I would think that England's is saying you must, at a minimum, use a direct connect - that is, you cannot simply do a "slammer" installation with their inserts. With either model, however, I would do a full liner. Otherwise, when it's time to sweep your flue, you'll have to pull the insert out to keep the creosote/soot from coming down directly on the top of the insert.

Status
Not open for further replies.