installed with a problem...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
If you

If you are happy where it sits, hell, take an angle grinder with a diamond blade and cut a notch where the rod needs to slide out to, give yourself the room you need, and be done with it.

You'll be okay open up top for now, but you will want a top plate, storm collar and cap to finish it off.

Agreed on doing a variation on this. An angle grinder won't take the notch deep enough but if I could cut off the L handle and drill a hole through it'll work.

The length of the rod is roughly 6" longer than the photo. So about 8" total. Tough to say because I'm not gonna move it anytime soon.

Was planning on tomorrow afternoon or maby the weekend to put the cap and color on. I have the hardware.

Very cool looking fireplace. I'm with Hog, grind a notch. Or, is there room for an offset made of two elbows? This might be a rigid 30º pointed rear, coupled with a 15º liner elbow pointed upward into the throat of the chimney?

Very cool looking fireplace. I'm with Hog, grind a notch. Or, is there room for an offset made of two elbows? This might be a rigid 30º pointed rear, coupled with a 15º liner elbow pointed upward into the throat of the chimney?

Honestly it was such a pita to get it hooked up like this that the thought of taking it apart to attach more corners is not something I want to do.

The more I think about it the more I want to make a notch. But I need to be able to make the notch deep enough and I think an angle grinder won't go that deep unless I make a huge notch...like a brick sized one.....

my experience and knowledge on the topic of grinders is still growing so you may be thinking of something that I'm just not imagining due to limited experiences.

A larger angle grinder will. If not, rent a gas saw with diamond blade and you'll easily get more than a brick thickness out of that blade.
If you cut off the bend, how will you grasp the rod? Does it get very hot?

Agree with Hog. Rent a big one if you need it. This will make a lot of dust so plan accordingly.

Long term have you considered getting an insert with a narrow width, but a deeper firebox? That might solve some issues and provide more heat, longer burntime if that's is a consideration.

Reactions: beermann
Hate to tell you this, but you're going to have to move it to either cut a slot, or drill a hole.

A larger angle grinder will. If not, rent a gas saw with diamond blade and you'll easily get more than a brick thickness out of that blade.
If you cut off the bend, how will you grasp the rod? Does it get very hot?

I'll need about 5". The brick is 8".

If i cut off the bend I would drill a straight hole through the brick to the left and attach an additional rod to where the rods bend used to be. So the rod would run straight through a 1/2" hole in the brick via an attachment where the L handle gets cut off.

Agree with Hog. Rent a big one if you need it. This will make a lot of dust so plan accordingly.

Long term have you considered getting an insert with a narrow width, but a deeper firebox? That might solve some issues and provide more heat, longer burntime if that's is a consideration.

I agree. And had I been able to shop around I may have gotten a different model. But this unit was a freebee and generous family members bought me the liner.

Take pics and let us know how it goes.

Post on beermann's behalf:

Notes:

Drilled a hole all the way through the left side of the fireplace bricks. Pushed a clothes line through and I will crimp it against the handle of the air adjustment rod. I also ground off the L handle so it fits perfectly in the hold I drilled.

Here are some pictures

Attachments

• 20171025_104809.jpg
    20171025_104809.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 151
  • 20171025_145746.jpg
    20171025_145746.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 156
  • 20171025_161308.jpg
    20171025_161308.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 127
Thanks everyone

Attachments

• 20171025_174949.jpg
    20171025_174949.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 129
  • 20171025_175343.jpg
    20171025_175343.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 132
Post on beermann's behalf:

Notes:

Drilled a hole all the way through the left side of the fireplace bricks. Pushed a clothes line through and I will crimp it against the handle of the air adjustment rod. I also ground off the L handle so it fits perfectly in the hold I drilled.

Here are some pictures

Thanks and to clarify the clothes line thing.....i meant to say a clothes hanger.

My bad.

Thanks everyone

Can't wait to finish everything off next summer.

As of right now it's 5°c outside and a balmy 24°c in the living room and 22 in the hallway. Amazing to be sweating in my house instead of wearing a sweater. Im genuanly excited for winter.

Reactions: leco
Love a happy ending.

With a frosty -1 outside this morning i was very happy to be able to light up the insert and within 30 minutes feel the warmth. The warmth from a fire is just.....warmer than any other form of heat.

Genuanly happy here.