Installing a damper into stovepipe. Any tips?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bkatzman

Hearth Supporter
Nov 7, 2007
Upstate NY
Hello All,
I am installing new stovepipe on my vintage Old Oak cylinder wood/coal stove and was wondering if anyone has any tips as to how they correctly install (line-up) a damper into 6inch black stove pipe? I already messed-up one piece that I bought at Loew's and hope not to waste another. Thanks for any help!
-B

Drill the first hole 90 degrees away from the pipe seam if there is one.

Be sure the first drilled hole is at least 6" from the pipe end so that the damper can rotate freely without getting caught on the pipe joint screws.

You can use a piece of string to accurately measure the circumference, have an ink marker nearby to mark the circumference on the string. Then fold the string back on itself to find the half-way point on the string. Mark that with the pen too.

Now, mark the pipe by transferring the halfway point of the string to the pipe. Be sure that the second hole is the same distance from the pipe end as the first.

Drill the second hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.