Installing a woodstock stove in a tiled alcove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lkormos

Jan 20, 2008
Upstate NY
On re-examing my options of moving my stove from the basement to the first floor I would like to move my keystone woodstock stove into the family room since it would be more central. The family room is a two story space with a ceiling fan that could help circulate the heat.

My issue is the lack of wall space to put the stove. I attached a picture of the wall where I would install the stove. I would like to keep the two glassed cabinets on either side and put in a tiled alcove between the cabinets and run the stove pipe up through the ceiling space through closet which is above the cabinets. The stove would be placed forward of the wall in a tiled alcove with angled walls between the cabinets and a hearth pad extending out about 4 foot from the back wall. The cabinets are 20 inches deep. The stove would be the required 18" from the back wall (I have a heat sheild).

Will this work and what would it cost to install the stove pipe up through the closet and out the roof?

Attachments

• family room wall.jpg
    family room wall.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 215
What's on the other walls? Looks to me like you might have a hard time with clearances.

I straightened out the pic for you, it was sliding off the browser :).

In the layout, are the 2"1" back walls between the cabinets actually non-combustible heat shields? If so it looks like it should work as long as the specs for the minimum distance to combustibles set by Woodstock are honored.

Pay attention to the corner distance from the stove to the wall. If you use metal studs, then you can go with the protected surface dimension. If wood studs, then use the unprotected distance.

BG looks like you've got it covered, metal studs are easier to work with too. Would look really nice with some flat rock going up the enclosure, don't you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.