Installing elbow straps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ALL4SCUBA

Sep 30, 2014
CONNECTICUT
I am soon going to cut through the roof and install the rest of the chimney pipe. Duraplus states that the elbow straps go OVER the rafter and then nailed in place.

This is the corner of the house. As you can see in Pic 3, the right strap MIGHT have about an inch or two left to go over the rafter. The left one is the problem.That left rafter sits 3 1/2 inches beyond that 2x4 in Pic 4. The left strap won't even reach it. I will have 12' of pipe sitting on this elbow.

So I was thinking of nailing a 2x4 vertically to that left wall from the floor to the 2x4 in Pic 4. Then running the strap over the top end of the vertical 2x4 and nailing it to that 2x4. I'm thinking that will be providing enough support for that left strap. Even if I decided to instead rip that left wall out of the way, these straps are short and that left rafter is too far to reach it with the strap.

Does this idea of mine stand a good chance of failing the inspection? any ideas out there?

Pic 1.JPG Pic 2.JPG Pic 3.JPG Pic 4.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I would screw it with 1.5" #10 sheet metal screws. That will be very solid. Screwing stops the adjacent drywall nails from popping through the surface. You could drill an extra hole in the strap for a second screw if necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.