Installing Fireplace Doors - Drilling into Lintel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

lbeachstace

Jan 29, 2021
New York
We purchased Pleasant Hearth Fillmore Glass Firescreen doors from Amazon a couple of years ago.

The surround of our fireplace has large pieces of tile (around ½-¾" thick) around it covering brick - when we tried to install the doors, the brackets would not reach the lintel to fasten to them. We got longer brackets from Pleasant but they still didn't reach.

We had someone do it for us, they soldered the pieces together to extend the brackets so they'd reach but within a month one bracket fell off.

We want to fix it ourselves and need some suggestions/help.

What is the best way to drill into the lintel and do you recommend tapcon screws, mider screws, something else?

Attached are two photos - one with the bracket that fell off and the other one that is still attached (let me know if you need better photos).

Thanks - Stacey

IMG_4979.jpg IMG_4982.lpg.jpg

I assume the second pic shows the bracket that fell off?
Looks like the one on the left is held to the door frame with a rivet.
Did the rivet fail?

You are correct but it's reversed. The photo on the right has the bracket in place - the one on the left has the rivet that failed.

I took better photos and labeled them. It doesn't look secure to me to only bolt it in place with a rivet - am i wrong?

We were originally told by the person who installed them that he was going to use a miter screw thru bracket to secure it.

What would you recommend we do to ensure these are safe/secure?

Thanks Bob.

IMG_4982.jpg IMG_4986.jpg IMG_4991.jpg IMG_4994.jpg

The lintel angle iron is thick steel. You could drill and tap it for a 10/24 screw with a lockwasher.

Reactions: DAKSY
Will this be secure in extreme heat - with expansion and contraction?

Is it more secure than putting an anchor into the brick?
It should be, that is the purpose of the lock washer but a tapcon could work too. I'd put in 2 screws per bracket

Reactions: DAKSY
It should be, that is the purpose of the lock washer but a tapcon could work too. I'd put in 2 screws per bracket
Which do you feel is more secure - tapcon or the lock washer?

Are you mentioning tapcon because then it would also secure into the brick above the lintel?

Both are mechanical methods of fastening. Done correctly, either will work.

We contacted Tapcon and their anchor screws are not meant to high heat - none of their products are.

Anyone know of a product that can be used in a fireplace that won't have issues with the temperature?

Thanks
Stacey

We contacted Tapcon and their anchor screws are not meant to high heat - none of their products are.

Anyone know of a product that can be used in a fireplace that won't have issues with the temperature?

Thanks
Stacey
Tapcons work just fine there. It really isn't very high heat there

Tapcons work just fine there. It really isn't very high heat there
I may not have explained myself properly - we are looking to drill into the lintel - our lintel is very close to where the logs burn, so therefore gets a lot of extreme heat. We want to ensure there is not issue with expansion/contractions with the anchors or screws we use.

I may not have explained myself properly - we are looking to drill into the lintel - our lintel is very close to where the logs burn, so therefore gets a lot of extreme heat. We want to ensure there is not issue with expansion/contractions with the anchors or screws we use.
I have done it many many times it's not an issue. The heat is not that high. Lintels are just mild steel generally and I have never seen one burnt away