Installing new single wall, adapter needed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

spitfire557

Jan 29, 2019
PA
Decided to install all new single wall stove pipe after noticing the beginnings of deterioration on the old stuff (surface rust). As with most things in our recently purchased house, I'm questioning if it was installed correctly in the first place.

The question is - should I have an adapter from the stove to the first piece of stove pipe? My stove has a lip at the bottom of the pipe inlet, as such:

ZvL5A20.jpg

When installing the stove pipe directly to the stove, I run into some issues either way. I'm aware that male end should always be toward the stove, but when done like that, I find that there's a decent gap between stove and pipe due to the pipe being slightly out of round, as well as the pipe not seating properly on the "lip" due to the bulging area of the male end of the stove pipe.

8asyOZ1.jpg

OR

Can I install the stove pipe female side directly into the stove? When done this way, it seats quite nicely on that "lip," and I could continue the male end above female end theme for the remainder of the pipe with no issues.

rGVd5LF.jpg

Male side down.

That’s the problem with snap lock pipe, it’s not round... there’s usually a decent gap around the pipe near the lock.

Reactions: ShawnLiNY
That’s the problem with snap lock pipe, it’s not round... there’s usually a decent gap around the pipe near the lock.

So true. On my shop stove I used single wall snap lok and filled the unavoidable gap with furnace cement. It kind of works and is easy to refresh if needed.

Did the old single wall fit tighter? Different brands might be slightly larger.

You’re supposed to screw the pipe to the stove which may help tighten up this connection.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 78
Reactions: ShawnLiNY
You can use a squeeze tube of furnace cement. Run a bead around inside of flue collar install pipe run a small bead around top of collar and pipe secure your 3 screws than wipe any excess that squeezes out

Or just pick up some 22 gauge welded seam pipe. It’ll last much longer and will be round!

Reactions: moresnow