Installing new wood stove this weekend

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

HarleyRCK07

Nov 13, 2017
North Central Indiana
New to forum and have a couple of questions. I'm installing an Englander 30NC this weekend in my pole barn. I have 2 - 36 inch fixed length sections of stove pipe and one adjustable length (38 - 68 inch) section. My first question is does it make any difference if the adjustable section is attached to the stove or the ceiling box? Second question is moving the adjustable section. Probably a dumb question, but I took the adjustable section out of the box and I can't get the sections to move. Does it have to be connected to the stove or ceiling box in order to slide? Thanks

Most folks put the telescoping section on the stove, and this becomes the primary means of disconnect, for annual cleaning.

The sections can jam if slid all the way together. Usually they slide fairly easily, once un-jammed, until they get gunked up with creosote.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Someone times it takes two people to move the slip once it’s bottomed out. You can use wd-40 if needed. Believe it or not, it usually does the trick in slips.

Someone times it takes two people to move the slip once it’s bottomed out. You can use wd-40 if needed. Believe it or not, it usually does the trick in slips.
Thanks for the reply - It did take the wife and I to get it to move. It was really jammed - took a small block of wood and a mallet to get it loose. Luckily it didn't mess up the pipe or even leave a mark!

Most folks put the telescoping section on the stove, and this becomes the primary means of disconnect, for annual cleaning.

The sections can jam if slid all the way together. Usually they slide fairly easily, once un-jammed, until they get gunked up with creosote.
Thanks Ashful. The directions weren't very clear on placement. I ended up placing the two fixed 3 foot lengths from the ceiling box down and the adjustable length from there to the stove. Got the adjustable length unjammed by holding it up while the wife used a small block of wood with a mallet to tap it loose. Luckily it didn't hurt the pipe. Thanks for the help.

Reactions: Ashful