Insulating and sealing damper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Woodman85

Oct 2, 2017
Hello, getting ready to do my install and looking into blocking my damper with sheet metal. I see it should also be insulated. I'll have some insulation that wraps around my liner left over, will that do the job for insulating my damper? Thanks for any suggestions.

That should be kaowool and will work ok.

Would roxul be a better choice?
Either one is fine. We always use ceramic wool because it is what we have but mineral wool like roxul would work fine as well

Where do you get stuff like that? Roxul?

Bought mine at Lowes. I insulated behind the insert also. It made a significant difference.
IMG_0706.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
How hot can that stuff get? I am considering using that stuff up above my stove to block off the fireplace damper as some recommend. But I am 100% sure that no one at home depot will have any idea what I am talking about and I am sure someone will try to send me to the gardening department....

Has a melting point around 2150ºF

Has a melting point around 2150ºF

So if I were to go to Lowes or Home Depot, where to go to find it? I'm telling you the Depot and Lowe's employees around here are complete bone heads and will have no idea what I am talking about.

It has a melting point of 2150F and is listed as non-combustible on the Roxul Comfortbatt spec sheet.

So if I were to go to Lowes or Home Depot, where to go to find it? I'm telling you the Depot and Lowe's employees around here are complete bone heads and will have no idea what I am talking about.
I'd look for it in the insulation dept. alongside the batts of fiberglass insulation.

Usually in the insulation department. If you have smart phone, just pull it up online, enter your Lowes location, and it will ( depending on the store) tell you where to look for it.

Sorry Begreen, you type a lot faster than me.:)

Usually in the insulation department. If you have smart phone, just pull it up online, enter your Lowes location, and it will ( depending on the store) tell you where to look for it.

Sounds good. I think I'll do that then. That stuff look easy to shove up in there. Being fire resistant up to 2150 degrees means it can touch the pipe. And if I feel so inclined I can pull it out and take a look see at the chimney flue (with mirrors) to see if there really is moisture or if that's a bunch of BS.

As with most insulations, wear a mask when working with Roxul to keep from breathing in the fibers and dust.