Insulation options for Black Pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Medman

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Jul 8, 2008
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario
What options are available for insulating 1" and 1.25" black pipe? I have about 40' of 1.25" bp in the garage, about 30' of 1" Pex in the garage, and about 20' of 1" bp in the house to insulate. Looks are not a factor for most of the pipe, but in the house I only have about 2" of space between/around pipes. I'm concerned about the risk of someone getting burned by contact in the house, as the pipes are exposed in the laundry room. I don't want to take out a loan for the materials, either.

Suggestions, including online links if possible?

Thanks!

What temperatures are you running? For boiler and hydronic look for an insulation with a 220F. Many of the inexpensive foams found at home centers will melt off boiler piping. ArmaFlex and others make a 220F pipe insulation. Fiberglass is a good option. For fancy I use Techlite.net with a colorful PVC outer jacket. It's a melamine insulation, a little friendlier to work with compared to fiberglass.

hr

I was going to use the fiberglass stuff for my 1 1/4" black pipe until I saw the price (I think it was somewhere around $5 for 3 feet at HD). I have about 35 feet to and from, so it would have cost me $350. No way Jose. So I bought some fiberglass duct insulation, which is basically like a small batt insulation that you wrap around a duct. I haven't tried it out yet, but my plan was to wrap the pipes with this stuff then use duct tape to hold it on. I think it will work, and for a lot less than the fiberglass pipe stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.