insulation touching pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stefan

Hearth Supporter
Oct 27, 2008
VT
Greetings,

Just checked out the work of my chimney installer and found that fiberglass (pink) insulation is touching the doublewalled stove pipe in our attic/kneewall - does this violate the 2" clearance rule. The installer didn't seem to think it was a problem.

Insulation shouldn't touch. They make a heat shield that goes between the pipe and the insulation.

It should not touch. There are 2 reasons. One is pink insulation is not fire rated second is insulation touching the pipe will cause a hot spot. The pipe will get hotter at the spot of contact.

Installer is incompetent. Air space requirement means AIR SPACE, insulation may NOT touch pipe.

I'd go over the rest of the installation carefully and check to see what else the installer didn't think was much of a problem. Make sure all of the connector pipe has 3 screws per joint.

How is this situation different than wrapping stainless liner in insulation or pouring vermiculite type insulation around stainless liner?

damifino said:
How is this situation different than wrapping stainless liner in insulation or pouring vermiculite type insulation around stainless liner?
Stainless liner is contained inside a chimney and made for that purpose. Chimney system pipe (class A) is designed to be exposed near combustible surfaces and already has insulation inside the outer pipe.

Thank you -- guess I need to check things out further.

Is there supposed to be some kind of device that will allow my kneewall to stay insulated? If I remove the pink insulation, all that is left is a big gap between where the hole was cut in the roof and the double walled pipe -- there is the thin metal sheet that covers where the pipe exits the roof and blocks the weather from coming in, but that seems inadequate.

so if your using flex pipe going thru a fireplace, is it ok to have pink no faced insulation touching the flex pipe
. at the top of the chimney I was going to stuff insalation around the flex pipe 2 feet down. right below the cap plate

Pink insulation is not the product for that application, try kao wool (spelling?) that is fire rated insulation.

where on Long Island can you get kao wool, I have some fire proof insulation, i think its rock wool, but its very fiberous, and i thought if i used it it might wind up in the hous. I was going to have an isntaller put in my stove and he was going to use pink insulation, his price for the install was too high and i wanted to see if i could do it my self. The pink stuff doesnt burn, it just melts

Double-walled metal chimneys should not have insulation touching as already mentioned, that can create a hot spot since the heat cannot dissipate. Check with the chimney manufacturer.

Many chimney manufacturers offer a heat shield for attic spaces and I think they are a very good thing to have. I run a continuous heat shield from the firestop above the stove right up to the roof flashing. It helps to keep the chimney a little warmer and should a fire burn through the chimney, it affords one more layer of protection.

LLigetfa said:
Double-walled metal chimneys should not have insulation touching as already mentioned, that can create a hot spot since the heat cannot dissipate. Check with the chimney manufacturer.

Many chimney manufacturers offer a heat shield for attic spaces and I think they are a very good thing to have. I run a continuous heat shield from the firestop above the stove right up to the roof flashing. It helps to keep the chimney a little warmer and should a fire burn through the chimney, it affords one more layer of protection.

What he said X2 ^

Status
Not open for further replies.