Insulation?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RazrRebel

Hearth Supporter
Dec 10, 2010
Southwest Virginia
Got my new stovepipe up. Cleaned the inside of my Buck really good. I took the insulation out while I was cleaning and forgot to put it back. I lit my first fire and its going great. Do I really need the insulation? What is it for? I don't think the top can get too hot. It is the small Buck, and its in a fireplace. Any help?

Assume you're talking about the insulation blanket above the baffle . . . if so . . . yes . . . it helps with the secondary burn and may also offer some thermal protection. It's not something the manufacturer adds just because they think it looks nice.

Thanks, the main reason I forgot, it was coming apart and I took it out on the porch. I really probably need to get one. Will it be all right until I can get one?

Thanks, the main reason I forgot, it was coming apart and I took it out on the porch. I really probably need to get one. Will it be all right until I can get one?

You can probably put the old one back for now . . . just kind of put it more or less in place.

It helps keep temperatures hotter in your firebox for secondary burn, you will be OK to burn without it for a week or two but I would get that order in for a new one as soon as possible.

If you want to try saving a buck or two you can order the Koawool on ebay in bulk and have some on hand for a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.