Insurance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
par0thead151 said:
i got this response from my agent, i think i may need to say it is a stove, as it technically is a stove inside a fireplace insert right?
below is my agents response in a earlier email...

>> As far as the fireplace. A wood burning insert is something we will
>> note on your file. It's not something West Bend need to know as they
>> do not rate for a wood burning fireplace, only stoves.

I have West Bend as well.

Originally my agent said the same thing as yours with my fireplace "insert". When he drove by and saw 5 cords of wood stacked outside he got worried. It was inspected by West Bend, pictures were taken, and I now pay a small premium which is better than having a denial of claim.

I have my insurance agent come over to see what was done. He just looks at it and says bring information serial numbers approved numbers etc, Done, No extra charge. Rates go up every year any way. So what the heck.

shawneyboy said:
mrfjsf said:
I have Erie Insurance for all my insurance, car, home etc. USUALLY they are very strict, I called them recently to tell them I got a wood stove installed and to my big suprise, they simply just asked if it was professionally installed, asked who the installer was, and said we'd make a note in the system. Now granted, they knew we had a fireplace before and when I called I told them my fireplace was no longer operational as it was replaced with the wood stove. Perhaps my premium was raised a little from the get-go and they saw no real difference between the two...

Erie insurance as well, Let them know, they wanted manufacturer and model, and was it professionally installed, If there is a change it is minor since when ever there is a change in premium they inform me right away, I figure any change in home owners will be easily offset with change in heating oil bill. Always better that they know, god forbid anything happens and they come back and say you never informed us so you are not covered.

I also have Erie. They wanted manufacturer and model, and was it professionally installed. I told them that the stove was installed with a permit where I live and so they asked for the appoved permit and the stove and stove pipe info. No increase on rates since I already had a fireplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.