Interesting CL find

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jags... you jinxed it! I threw a connecting rod on that 12 hp Kohler this morning, just as I was getting ready to spray 4 acres of lawn. Got a full tow-behind sprayer and blow 42" plow rig sitting in the driveway now.

How in the heck did you blow a connecting rod? These things can wear till they sound like a diesel rattling before they come apart. At least they are easy to work on.;)

When I got this thing a year ago, I checked the oil religiously. As time went on, and I found it not leaking or using any noticeable amount, I checked it less and less. I guess it had been a few months since I last checked it, and just the day before it blew, I had thought it sounded a little too "loose" as I was putting it away. Figured I'd check the oil before firing it up the next day, but then forgot. So, I fired her up the next day, drove about 100 feet, and noticed the engine speed decreasing. Remembering I forgot to check the oil, I shut'r down and checked... bone dry. Put some oil in, and then found she had heated up enough that the piston was tight in the bore. With some work, I got her turning again, and all seemed fine / disaster averted. Hooked up the sprayer I had planned to tow around that day, drove another 20 feet, then... "tick, tick, tick, bang!".

Good news is that I already have another K301AS on the way for $200 plus shipping. I'll set this old engine aside for a few years, until the boy (now 3 years) is old enough to learn about engines, and then rebuild it with him. My father did the same with me, using an old lawnmower engine from his youth. Hopefully the new (used) engine lasts until then.

This Cub is often asked to do things way beyond what a Cub should normally do, but being such a stout little machine, she (usually) seems to hold up pretty well. Just the week before, I used her to push around 6 tons of topsoil.

It needs room for a cooler and an ashtray!

Status
Not open for further replies.