Interior Chimney - Need Some Advice (Diagram Insde)....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BurnIt13

Minister of Fire
Jun 10, 2010
Central MA
Hello again. As I plan for my stove installation it occured to me that I should begin to plan for the chimney installation as well since I am doing the install myself. We have a two story house. The stove will be installed in the dining room on the first floor, pass through the ceiling, go through the 2nd bedroom, and out the roof. I'm having some difficulty figuring out what I need for flashing, etc for the roof pass-through. I could also use some advice on all the other bits and pieces. Please let me know if I am missing something. Here is what I've planned so far....

chimneylayout.jpg

Just like your ceiling support box, the manufacturer will specify what to do for roof pass through. Once you select your manufacturer, you will just follow the instructions using their parts.

There are measurements that you will need to respect as far as how high your chimney must be given roof slope and height - a quick search will find those.

Other than that, you are all set.

Nice drawing BTW. I like the detail. You forgot the chimney cap though. ;-)

Thanks for the quick reply! I've been having some difficulties finding information on my specific application. Most installation manuals show diagrams for attic pass-throughs or cathedral ceilings only, not nececerilly through a living space and directly out a roof.

I plan on purchasing Metal-Fab components. IF what I'm reading is correct, after the ceiling support box I am going to run chimney pipe straight through the roof with no other special products. I simply need to maintain clearances when it goes through the roof and use the appropriate roof bracket.

Here is a diagram from thier installation manual. It calls out a "pitched ceiling plate" and a "trim sleeve", both of which I wont need right? It appears that these are for cosmetic purposes only.
roofo.jpg

Does that sound right? So it will go stove pipe... ceiling support box... chimney pipe.... through roof with roof bracket... flashing, storm collar, done right? Here is the roof bracket they refer to.
metalfab12tgasio.jpg

Russ in Chicagoland said:
Why not use single wall on the first floor. Capture that extra heat!

I would except I need the double wall to achieve minimum clearances.

So what do you think guys.... is the roof bracket all I need to pass through the roof in the 2nd bedroom?

A roof bracket is to support a chimney at the roof level. You are going to support it at the floor level so it is not needed.

That is identical to our installation. No need for an extra support at the roof. The 1st floor ceiling support box is what's carrying the weight and the roof flashing keeps it vertically aligned.

Don't forget to maintain the 2 foot/10 foot rule as it pertains to the height/location of your chimney. (2' higher than any roofline within 10')

EDIT: If your diagram is to scale, your chimney may not be tall enough to clear the roof ridge if that ridge is within 10' of the chimney.

Shari

Thanks for the help guys! The drawing is for conceptual purposes only, its not to scale. I will definetely adhere to the 2/10 rule. There will be about 10 feet of pipe coming out of the roof, its a steep pitch. I'll be using a roof brace kit and of course....a chimney cap :)

~*~vvv~*~ said:
consider a tee located atop stove so when chimney gets brushed u pop the cap & vacumn inside pipe?

Hmmmm...I didn't know you could do that. I was planning on getting a telescoping piece of stove pipe and just taking that out to brush the chimney. Basically have the wife hold a bucket underneath the stove pipe while I sweep it out.

BurnIt13 said:
~*~vvv~*~ said:
consider a tee located atop stove so when chimney gets brushed u pop the cap & vacumn inside pipe?

Hmmmm...I didn't know you could do that. I was planning on getting a telescoping piece of stove pipe and just taking that out to brush the chimney. Basically have the wife hold a bucket underneath the stove pipe while I sweep it out.
ask code inspector, seems like good idea 2me, maybe stove configuration will allow for cleaning from within stove instead of tee. locals use a whip on a drill gizmo for cleaning chimney from bottom, tee might allow for using the gizmo & dont have to climb roof?

BurnIt13 said:

Good plan and a cleaner looking installation.

What stove did you end up choosing? With some, like the PE you mentioned, you just pull out the baffle and sweep into the stove, then vacuum it out. It helps to have the vac running while doing this to capture any airborne soot dust.

BeGreen said:
What stove did you end up choosing? With some, like the PE you mentioned, you just pull out the baffle and sweep into the stove, then vacuum it out. It helps to have the vac running while doing this to capture any airborne soot dust.

I'm still getting my ducks in a row. The purchase may be delayed until spring :( Hopefully not. Its still a toss up between the following:
Lopi Republic 1750
Napoleon 1400 or 1450
Quadrafire 3100
PE Super 27

The Lopi has the perfect clearances for my installation and the PE is my favorite but the price of the Napoleons is very tempting. The Napoloen 1450 can be had for $1150 with a blower, thermostat, and outisde air kit. Of course, it doesnt have an ash pan and some of the trim like its 1400 cousin.

I WAS going to question you on what exactly was bearing the vertical load of the chimney pipe, sounds like the floor pass-thru assembly is doing it. If NOT, then your installation becomes just like mine, and the roof bracket is needed to support the weight.

But otherwise, passing thru the roof joists merely requires that you "box off" the area, like installing a skylight, so that NO COMBUSTABLES, SHEATHING, JOISTS, SHIMS, INSULATION, ETC, are within 2" (check your code) of the SS chimney pipe. This means that you need that decorative ceiling plate to cover the BIG hole in your ceiling, unless you don't mind looking at it.

Also, do your homework first (meaning: locate your stove correctly) so that your pipe doesn't come within 2" of an existing joist, or you'll have to blow thru and frame around that joist for no good reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.