Internet Stove Purchase?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BobD

Jul 13, 2008
NW VT
http
I was wondering if anyone here has purchased a stove from discountstove.com? I'm looking to purchase my 3rd Hearthstone stove (new house), but money is tight. It looks like I can save some money ordering the stove online vs to purchasing it locally. I'd rather purchase it locally, but money IS an object right now. I'm about an hour from the Hearthstone factory, so I'm not worried about warrenty issues.

I'm looking for actual experiences here not opinions. So, I was just wondering is anybody has had any positive/negitive experiences with this company?

Thanks in advance.

I've never bought a stove from them, but I've purchase replacement Vermont Castings parts from them more times than I can count. I've always found them to be professional, quick with shipping and great with customer service.

Thank you for the response. I had mixed emotions about the company. I called to ask about stove prices and spoke to a guy that was less then helpful. But, I also e-mail someone after the conversation and they could not do enough to help me. I was hoping I just got the first guy on a bad day.
I think Hearthstone has the factory seconds sale this coming weekend. I'm going to try see if they will give me some prices over the phone so I don't waste $30 in gas going to the factory if the prices are not right.

I'm really hoping that I can get my Mansfield soon. I miss my old one.

I bought my pacific energy summit from a dealer in Texas I found on Ebay.

I tried to give the local store a shot at it, but they would not match his price, the difference was a few hundred dollars even including the shipping.

I picked up the stove on a pallet at a local shipping depot in my pickup saving me even more (usually at least $75 up charge for gate lift residential delivery).

I too purchased my PE T6 from a vendor in another part of the state. The local Dealer wanted $600 more for the same unit, I assume it would have been shipped from the same warehouse. The vendor shipped the stove to a local freight terminal, went to pick it up towing a trailer and everything went smooth. The vendor was a 100 miles away, but he offered to come do the install, without a trip charge. But to save money I did the install myself, purchased the Class A from Lowes (big cost savings) nice stuff. If you are handy at all, you may consider to install the manufactured chimney yourself. Save the money for a splitter or nice chainsaw.

aussieblake

If money is such a big deal then why are you buying such an expensive stove. I like HS stoves, I own one, and I think you'll love your new one but if money is really that tight then why not buy a nice big cheap steel stove? I bought HS because I could.

Thanks folks. Aussieblake I plan on installing my own chimney. I'm too handy for my own good. I'd have a lot more free time if I wasn't.

Highbeam, I work a 12hr shift and that makes it about 14hrs away from the house. Is there a steel stove that will give me a heat time close to that? Money is tight, but I'm willing to spend the long dollar to make sure I can heat my house without spending a fortune on propane. I just don't want to spend $500 more then I have to.

The heat will be different but you can get the burntime from an Olympic. I go anywhere from 12 to 14 hours between the morning load up and the when i get home load.

Soapstone does have a nice and long heat life but I don't think that the non-cat HS line is known for being a long and low burner. Well at least not 14 hours long. You are in catalytic territory there and I would hope that you also looked at the woodstock stoves, seriously, check out woodstock as they are in your backyard.

You are asking a lot for any stove to make heat 24/7 with only two fillups per day.

Unfortunately there are not many cheap cat stoves out there. BK and woodstock are the only ones that I know of. Blazeking is very expensive but sounds ideal for your desired use. The woodstock is also good but their firebox is smaller.

The large Pacific Energy stoves have great reviews as well and can be compared side by side with the Hearthstone line at the chimneysweeponline.com site.

Thanks for the info guys. I will look into it.

Highbeam, I'm only looking for 3-4 long burns a week (just at night while I'm at work). I can have shorter, hotter burns the rest of the time. I had a Mansfield before and I got some long burns out of it.

I'll have to do some research on the other stoves. Thanks again for the info.

Big steel stoves rule! :coolgrin:

I did not purchase from who you are looking at, but I did buy a Fireview from Woodstock. They are great to deal with. Like you, I could not see paying my local dealer $500.00 to deliver the stove to my house, the liner for the chimney another $1000. They would not sell me the stove and let me take it home. That was a Hearthstone dealer.

BrotherBart said:
Big steel stoves rule! :coolgrin:

Well, now, I dunno 'bout "ruling", but I know my non-cat steel stove gits the job done in ~2500 SF. ;-) Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.