1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Iowans finally taste winter..anyone else?

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by arborealbuffoon, Jan 12, 2012.

1. arborealbuffoon

arborealbuffoon New Member

Loc:
    Southeast Iowa
    Currently watching the cold front and accompanying snow cross the state. Allegedly, strong winds will follow.

I don't know about the rest of you good folks, but this is the first time this winter I have felt like flexing the muscle of my old stove. We're holding 73.7 degrees F right now and not planning on giving up any time soon.

Anyone else gettin some winter?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. HotCoals

HotCoals Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Rochester,Ny.
    it was close to 50 today. [​IMG]
    I snowmobile.. would like to this season also.
  3. WoodpileOCD

WoodpileOCD Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central NC
    50's and 60's here. Hell, I actually have a couple of daffodils blooming in the yard. Mid Jan and daffodils blooming WTH.
  4. WoodNStuff

WoodNStuff Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Central WI
    Today was un-seasonally warm. Actually, it's been that way for a week or so here in WI. I hear we're getting a few inches of snow tonight. While snow would be nice, I would prefer it coming on after the weekend. LOL. I asked my wife today whether our iPhones have a weather app with snowfall toggle switch. I told her that I'd set mine to very, very, very light dusting. And then I'd up the sun a ton to dry it up quick. She assured me that, while the iPhone is pretty nifty, the technology was way behind my imagination.
  5. Larry in OK

Larry in OK Member

Loc:
    NE Oklahoma
    We're getting a mild taste of winter here in NE Oklahoma tonight. Got up into the 50s during the day but the temps have dropped into the low 20s now with a about an inch of snow accompanied by strong north winds. Forecast to just break above freezing tomorrow with lows in the teens.

Got a load of red oak, hedge and black walnut keeping the house at a comfortable 72.

Gas company gets NOTHING. :)
  6. nate379

nate379 Guest

Went from -20* here last week to low 40s yesterday and today. For me that's T Shirt weather!
  7. heatwise

heatwise Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    ohio
    The temps are going to drop to just below freezing late tonight .its currently 44 f mild ,and looks like we will hit 50f again from looking at the 7 day forecast. Not complaining but it does make me wonder if we will get a deep freeze late in the season. Keep warm
  8. KodiakII

KodiakII Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Eastern Ontario
    Just below freezing with freezing rain here. Give me snow anytime...at least you can drive on it!
  9. rottiman

rottiman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ontario Canada
    21 degrees and Snow here today and tomorrow then a clear week end but COLD.
  10. savageactor7

savageactor7 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CNY
    Yesterday it was 55 and sunny, this morning it's raining but still too warm 40 to snow.
  11. Vanskills

Vanskills New Member

Loc:
    Colorado
    In the negatives tonight here in Colorado but only about 3-4 inches if snow
  12. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    Cold front went through here yesterday afternoon.Was 34 with strong gusts when I started cleaning up the wood the County Road workers left in the right of way ditches along parent's acreage. 40 at noon when I quit for the day,windchill of 20 degrees.Right now its 13 degrees with -7 windchill,did get about an inch overnight.The wind's still howling,had 50 MPH gusts all night.May see 18 later today if we're lucky,mid -upper 20's by Sunday. We've been spoiled so far this winter,on Monday-Tuesday it was 54-57 & last Thursday it was 66,set all time January record.
  13. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
  14. jharkin

jharkin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Holliston, MA USA
    The storm grazed us - we just had some flurries and then into driving rain, low 40s. Going to get flooded today and tomorrow then it gets cooler over the weekend. We might see single digits by Sunday night... Then back into the 40s next week.

So just a tease here and there, still no real winter.

[Woodpile - I saw some weeds... dandelions and such ... sprouting around the woodshed last week here too ]
  15. schlot

schlot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Iowa
    Cold with some light flurries here......tease!
  16. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    We got a piece of it, but not much. Dusting of snow, but the wind is blowing like crazy and temp has been dropping all day.
  17. artmos

artmos Member

Loc:
    waay back in the holler- northern kentucky
    back here in the holler the snowflakes are as big as golfballs. down to the low 20's tonite. hi of 27 tomorrow,but up into the high 40's by monday. go figure! got a bunch of s/s to do so i would like it on the cooler side. art
  18. WoodNStuff

WoodNStuff Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Central WI
    Currently 17 F. Was in the 40's and 50's just within the past few days. No snow yesterday; 3-5" now.
  19. SlyFerret

SlyFerret Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Delaware, Ohio
    Yup, finally getting some winter here in Ohio too.

I'll actually be able to keep the stove going for a couple days!

Only 2-4 inches of snow, but 25-30 MPH sustained wind with gusts to 40 are putting wind chills around zero.

-SF
  20. granpajohn

granpajohn Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Maryland
    A bit slow here, but I recalled seeing this from the Ames NWS...short, but well written explanation of recent snowfall, (or lack of), in Iowa.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/images/dmx/DSM_Snow_Stats_2012.pdf

The basic premise: It's been so snowy for the past 5 winters, they've forgotten what a mild winter was like.