Is a Chimney Liner Really Needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Extremesolo

Hearth Supporter
Oct 30, 2008
Central, PA
I will be installing my new Big E soon and have heard conflicting opinions on the vent install. It will be in the basement with no way to vent it out the wall. I have an existing chimney that my coal stove I am replacing used to vent to. I have heard that I will need a 4" liner with a 3" adapted installed in the chimney to make the stove operational. A guy that I work with has a Quad and he has his vented to his chimney with no liner and has had no problems in the 7 or 8 years he has used it. Is the liner necessary? I don't want to spend the money if it is not needed. What is the actual purpose of the flexible liner? We are also planning on moving within the next year and the stove is going with us so if I don't need the liner that will be one less thing to worry about removing since it may not work on a new home anyways. Thanks for any help, I am new to pellet stoves and just want it to work better than my coal stove did.

Many stove manuals show installs with pipe partially up
the chimney. I personally would not install a stove that way.
Rod, who is a stove installer, (hearthtools on here) has shown pics of
jobs he's done to fix these half assed installs. (his words)
He has shown us many compelling reasons not to install the way
you have explained. Maybe he will chime in here with his valued opinion.

Imo it's safer and more secure to go from the stove to the chimney
top with a cap. This is the way I did mine. No regrets.

Check out this thread for links to pics that Rod posted of
one of these half assed installs.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/27134/

Extremesolo said:
I will be installing my new Big E soon and have heard conflicting opinions on the vent install. It will be in the basement with no way to vent it out the wall. I have an existing chimney that my coal stove I am replacing used to vent to. I have heard that I will need a 4" liner with a 3" adapted installed in the chimney to make the stove operational. A guy that I work with has a Quad and he has his vented to his chimney with no liner and has had no problems in the 7 or 8 years he has used it. Is the liner necessary? I don't want to spend the money if it is not needed. What is the actual purpose of the flexible liner? We are also planning on moving within the next year and the stove is going with us so if I don't need the liner that will be one less thing to worry about removing since it may not work on a new home anyways. Thanks for any help, I am new to pellet stoves and just want it to work better than my coal stove did.

How big is the Coal Chimney flue?
it is Metal or Clay?
how long?
Do you have a clean out so you can clean fly ash with out removing the Pellet vent pipe connection?

If 8" or under you could connect to it as long as you make a GOOD air tight seal at the adaption.
You could do it but you would have draft issues WHEN the power goes out.

I have connected many pellet stoves to 8" HT2100 pipe. WOOD STOVE PIPE.
but I have learned that connecting to a Masonry chimney is not a good idea.

I have always just ran Pellet vent or flex liner down in and made a good positive connection with 100% pellet pipe and or a mix of stainless Flex liner.

Here is a photo of a pellet stove I did that I ran pellet pipe down the chimney with T clean out connected to it down the 12" brick chimney.
Then I put a length of pipe with PLENTY of RTV on the end of the pipe through the hole in the wall and twist locked it into the T clean out .
Put a metal plate around the hole.
then an 90 down and the rest of the connection pipe.
5 years so far and no problems other that having to remove the 90 inside the house to clean the ash out of the T with a vacuum.

winsor.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.