Is a gap on the inside of the stove pipe normal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jaimedee16

Dec 13, 2020
Saskatchewan
We had our stove professionally installed almost 3 months ago. While we had everything taken apart for cleaning, I noticed what appears to be bent stove pipe on the inside. I have attached a pic. Is a gap like this normal where the two pipes overlap, or should it be completely flush?

80BF6F1B-5A10-4136-A5AD-297C66B63646.jpeg

I don't see anything that would alarm me. It appears that it is double wall telescoping pipe.

Well, let me start by saying thank you for the "has this been asked before?" section of the thread starter apparently added since my last login. I started with "Gap" and here I am.
Almost identical situation for me. Last Saturday after I cleaned, I decided to run my new snake eye camera up the chimney to see how things looked afterwards. I thought my gap was at a pipe connection so I ran it up again tonight and measured more carefully. Turns out it's right at the inner lip of the telescoping double wall pipe as @rwhite mentioned above.

This was also a professional pipe and chimney install about 8 years ago. I've had no problems to date and I rarely burn cool. All I've got is pine and Aspen, bone dry and running hot. That gap is 11' above the stove for me.

Suffice to say I was a bit concerned when I first saw that gap. I'm feeling less concerned tonight after finding the info above. Appreciate if anyone has any thoughts to chime in on mine.

Thanks,
Dan

IMG_0008.JPG