Is a PE Vista the right sized stove for my house?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I shivered just reading that forecast! BG I stand corrected and feel you're correct the Super27 is a very good choice in that situation.. Overnight burns are also a huge plus and I think the heat is controllable with experience. I find my T-5 very easy to operate and learn. I was leery about secondary burn but my fears were unfounded once I experienced the T-5. I still find the fire view fascinating as well.. Glad I bought this stove! If we get a more normal (colder) winter here I will know how well it keeps up as last winter was too easy here..

Ray

I didn't miss the location. Am just curious how the balancing act will go given what is probably a home constructed with the climate in mind. Especially given the softwood fuel.

Only one way to know.

Remember the lady (Ann?) on the west coast of AK that bought a T5 from Tom? Her place was smaller yet IIRC. Now her place was not all that tight, but she reported back that it was about right. Gotta be fun running around the house in your tshirt when it's -30F outside and blowing a gale.

Some folks thought I was nuts getting a 3 cu ft T6 for our house in our mild climate. The local dealer said those words. But it turns out to be just right. Heck, you're running dual 30NCs down in VA! The beauty of these stoves is that they run nicely with a partial load of fuel.

Reactions: raybonz
Very good points BG! Thing is you can control the heat with smaller loads, larger splits, low air and mixing in or running straight soft wood.. It is indeed very doable..

Ray

Remember the lady (Ann?) on the west coast of AK that bought a T5 from Tom? Her place was smaller yet IIRC. Now her place was not all that tight, but she reported back that it was about right. Gotta be fun running around the house in your tshirt when it's -30F outside and blowing a gale.

Some folks thought I was nuts getting a 3 cu ft T6 for our house in our mild climate. The local dealer said those words. But it turns out to be just right. Heck, you're running dual 30NCs down in VA! The beauty of these stoves is that they run nicely with a partial load of fuel.
And then there's me...

I really don't heat with wood. I just bought the stoves so I could hang out online with wood burners. The gardening forum was boring. ;lol

Reactions: begreen
LMAO Bart! ;lol

Ray

It will be interesting to see how it works out. Don't know how tight and insulated your place is but that could be a lot of firepower for under a 1,000 sq. ft. of tight living space. No matter what happens outside.
I agree that it will be interesting to find out how this works out in the long run, and it will be helpful to others in similar, extreme, situations. This house sounds ultra-well insulated, but with -40 outside, there will still be heat loss. My guess is that the Super27 will be a good choice overall. I've found that I can very nicely regulate smaller fires in mine when necessary. But it can pour out the heat, too, when you want it to. It seems to be very versatile in that way, which is what's needed in this case. That said, I'm guessing that you will be cracking open those triple pane windows sometimes, but that's okay. I imagine that some homes built for your climate are too tight and need more air exchange anyway.

Please keep us informed. Yours is an unusual situation.

Reactions: raybonz
Brrrskee!

Status
Not open for further replies.