Is double-walled pipe just for gas stoves etc? Are the installs on rigid pipe drastically different?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tickbitty

Minister of Fire
Feb 21, 2008
VA
Just curious, is double walled pipe like this stuff used for woodstoves too or just those other applications? It seems most of the liners I see on here are flex liners of one kind or another. And if it's "double walled" does it mean there is something in between the walls, or that you are supposed to put something between them? According to my former sweep, our chimney is 13" square internally.
We have a masonry chimney and we are installing an insert with an 8" flue collar. I have no idea how one would get this pip through the damper, I know with the flex kind you can "ovalize" it and connect direct - no idea about this though.

(Pending me actually getting my butt up there in daylight to confirm that and see how long it is).

Here's the pipe in question:
http://norfolk.craigslist.org/hsh/1443272661.html

3n93p53l05O65Q65Sf9at8d4ccfaa824219eb.jpg
3k33pb3l55O25T85Qf9ata9350fa031101c17.jpg

Double wall can have other applications, but for wood burning you want double wall class A with the UL 103 HT rating. That is, the 2,100F rating which simulates a chimney fire. The two walls are separated by some type of insulation. This may vary by manufacturer, but an installer will have to chime in a tell us more.

I checked with the guy from CL and he said the pipe was used for a woodstove that was removed, so he assumes it's the type for a woodstove (though I know, when you ASS U ME....) But he then wrote the info that he was able to get from the pipe, which was
Residential Type And Building Heating Appliance Chimney

Hart & Cooley MFG Co.
Div. Allied Thermal Corp.
Holland, MI

Model D CAT No. 8DP9
With Thermal Guard Insulation
UL Listed Issue No 145A

When I googled it, so far all I got was another craigslist ad for some up north, lol, but I guess it's worth checking on. If any of you see any meaning in those specs though let me know!

PS, I have GOT to get that stove here and installed because the craigslisting is killing me, there's now an Avalon Olympic listed even closer to me for less than the Englander. I will just assume that it's trashed and too big for my house, yeah that's it!) Hubs is lining people up to pick up the Englander this weekend. Handshake agreement so far. :)

So from everything I can find this is definitely a good pipe to use for woodstoves. If that stuff fits in my chimney, I assume the install would change a bit, but I have not seen much on here at all about connecting stoves through fireplaces to rigid pipe like that. Or maybe I am not looking in the right places. I don't want to THINK I am getting a great deal on this nice pipe and then end up paying a ton for some kind of connector piece, or sawing through dampers, when I could have just gone with flex all the way down, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.