Is fire supposed to stop roaring when you lock the latch???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
fsr4538 said:
Lewisthepilgrim said:
what a bummer!

I cut a split in half with my miter saw and sure enough, literally about half the inside of the wood is darker in color! What a bunch of chit !

I bought this wood from a guy who seemed to know a little more than the other guys I talked to. It was also more expensive (300 a cord) He stated it was aged at LEAST 18-24 months.

He is actually due back to drop more wood off (the cord was a little short) ... what should I say to him ??

I live in Newmarket. If you want to trade a load of unseasoned wood for a load of Black Locust that is ready to burn, I would be happy to do so. Then you can see if seasoned wood is the real issue.

Let me know.

I live in Lee! I am curious as to where you get your Black Locust. I am in need of wood for next year.

Lewisthepilgrim said:
what a bummer!

I cut a split in half with my miter saw and sure enough, literally about half the inside of the wood is darker in color! What a bunch of chit !

I bought this wood from a guy who seemed to know a little more than the other guys I talked to. It was also more expensive (300 a cord) He stated it was aged at LEAST 18-24 months.

He is actually due back to drop more wood off (the cord was a little short) ... what should I say to him ??

Did you ever get the Black Locust? I think you definitely have wet wood and I'm curious as to whether dry stuff fixed your problem.

When I do get the stove fire going at full bore I can BARELY boil water on the top of the stove in my little humidifier….

Your stove may be of double wall construction?

My Englander 17 is, and because of it the stove top doesn't get hot enough to boil water, it will steam in the pot, but not boil.

May I suggest you check the baffles in the top of the stove, if your model has them?

On my model, they are easy to bump out of place while moving the stove, etc.
They can either allow a lot of heat to escape up the flue that should have taken a longer route, or choke the flue exhaust.

Rob

I live in Lee! I am curious as to where you get your Black Locust. I am in need of wood for next year.[/quote]

I am a scrounger. I picked it up from a craigs list add. 14 down trees that I cut up and hauled home.

Random thoughts . . .

I think the wood is the problem . . . putting a split on hot coals as shown should have resulted in the split igniting in flames in 5-10 minutes max . . .

Shawney might have nailed it . . . a lot of times "seasoned" wood simply means the tree was cut down X number of months ago . . . or bucked up Y months ago . . . most folks here will tell you that to have best results the wood should be bucked, split and stacked for Z number of months (generally 6 months to 2 years depending on the species.)

Way to go FSR . . . to the OP . . . definitely take up FSR on his offer . . . or at least try a few splits and see if there is a difference.

If you still need dry wood to try let me know. I've got dry poplar, white oak, maple, apple, birch....

Status
Not open for further replies.