Is it a bargain and is that the size

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

denn

Jan 6, 2008
South Central PA.
LOWES has 25% off all stoves and stuff, the large Century FW300010 is $576 and there's a smaller one.
I'm thinking this would be the size for our basement, we wouldn't be heating 24/7, we got a rancher built in 1975.
It does get down to 50 degrees in the basement in the winter and we would like to get some heat up stairs
to help out the (in the attic)heatpump. In the future I'll insulate the walls???
I'm thinking a Englander 30-NC would be to large (Lowes only has their pellet stoves)
There isn't any Drolet dealers in this area
I think there was a post that Englander was coming out with a mid size stove? Any news on that.
I don't have the chimney up yet, this spring or summer .
1.I would preferr a front to back loader.
2.Is the Century worth $576 and is it the right size
3.Is a Englander 30-NC to big
4.Looks not a top priority

That's a good price for that stove. with out basement insulation, you'll be pumping heat into the concrete. Look at the temp of the concrete in winter and the surface area of the concrete compared to the surface area and temp of the stove. If you think of it that way, you'll quickly figure out the stove looses. Maybe good to get the stove because of a good price, but I'd sure encourage the insulation job being a top priority.

How large is the house, how large is the basement and is the basement area one open room?

Basement installations often fail to accomplish good house heating. If you can find a good location for the stove upstairs I think you will be ahead of the game.

Sorry the basement layout didn't work, to large.
I did it in paint and don't know how to get the size down to fit.
The basement is55X29, The stove will be at the end, the room is L shaped, 1150sf.
The other room is at the other end of the basement, 210 sf.
The rest is storage, boiler w/heater, fuel tank and it is layed out strange.
The stairs are 40ft from the end wall, next to the 210 sf. room.
It's a walk out basement from the end corner.
Hope this helps

You guys type faster then me.
I need heat in the basement to work and I would like some of that heat up stairs.
We have a propane fireplace insert in the living room ($3.50X100gal. a year) that stays(says wife).
The only other place is a add on 25X25 sunroom, we would like to put a Kozy firelpace in there some time,
but not now $$$ + time.
As for insulating the basement it will be a couple years. There just isn't enought time. I would need 8 or 9 day weeks

Hold out as long as you can. Last year i bought 3 stoves from Lowes at 85% OFF. Just keep watching the store or call in every week or so and you can get one heck of a deal. good luck

I'll try to post the sketch again.
Do you think the Englander 30-NC would be to large?

Attachments

• Basement layout.JPG
    Basement layout.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 382
I think it is difficult to over size in an uninsulated basement - anything from 2 to 3.5 cubic feet should do you well - these is no need to get a bigger stove unless you have a bigger woodpile, because a stove does not product heat, it is the wood that does the job! All in all, burning a smaller stove hotter is usually more efficient, but the burn times will be shorter. I suggest weighing all those factors, and as much as I support many of the opinions given here, I certainly would not choose a stove based on anything that folks here say - in the end it is your personal decision.

If money is vastly more important than anything else (in terms of purchasing factors), then you can wait and find a REAL closeout sooner or later (maybe later)...or even a used stove. However, most people are looking for a good value...but sometimes it can go to extremes in terms of looking for 75% off - yeah, someone somewhere will get that price (and someone will win the lottery too), but it cannot be all of us.

Thanks for the responses.
It looks like this post is stressing $$$$, and that is important, but....
Back to the first post.

I think there was a post that Englander was coming out with a mid size stove? Any news on that.
1.I would prefer a front to back loader.
2.Is the Century worth $576 and is it the right size
3.Is a Englander 30-NC to big
4.Looks not a top priority

I would rather have a Englander then a Century, the Century appears to be a mid size and the Englander a large.
I was asking if 30-NC would be to large and if Englander would be coming out soon with a mid size, I could wait.
I need to know how long to cut wood for next season.
If we would in the future put a Kozy fireplace in I'd like to cut just one size logs for both.
Hope this clears things up...sorry

My opinion on one part....

The century is surely worth $576 - up until a few years ago you could hardly find any EPA stove under 800 or so - and materials (steel) has gone through the roof, so anything down in this range is certainly a value.

Just looked at the specs on that stove - heck of a deal and a nice looking piece.

A stove like that would have been over a grand when I was selling stoves 10 years ago....

Status
Not open for further replies.